Chiller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok i think i have a problem. My tank is getting to 86 degrees. This is not good. That is the hottest it gets and drops down to about 82 when the lights go out. Is there any thing i can do to keep this from happening. Is there a DYI chiller. I can't afford a chiller.

some things you can do are: remove all lids, aim fans at the top of the water, add more powerheads to stir the surface water, reverse the lighting schedule so that the lights are on when your air conditioner is on. I live in louisiana and it gets darn hot here...So far, I have not had to buy a chiller for the house tanks.

well one thing i have not done and i should kick myself for is i never put a fan in the canopy after i got MH lighting. I have a feeling that will help alot. Now one question i have is I am going to want the fan to blow out of the hood correct? Becaue i don't want it blowing onto the MH bulb. Let me know please. And right now the lights are on when the AC is on.

I have a similar issue. I have only 65W pc 50/50 lights on a 37g FO tank. The temp was at 80 or so (or so I recall) for the first several days...but now the temp is up to 82-84 and even shutting off the lights doesn't seem to help! Our house temp is only around 77, so it's not getting hot...

I can't figure out what is causing the temp to rise like this if it's not the light...I can't imagine it is the two power heads... unless perhaps my heater is haywire and it is going on even though I have yet to see the light go on at all.

I was looking into getting an IceCap 4" fan to blow air across the water, if I can't figure out what the deal is.

i never put a fan in the canopy after i got MH lighting
There's your source of heat!
I am going to want the fan to blow out of the hood correct?
Debatable. My fans blow directly across the MH bulbs. You will need an equal size opening as the fan to let the air out (or in). If you blow in the hot air will come out of the hole as cool air is blown across the bulbs. IMO this is more effective. YMMV. Try it one way and then reverse the fan. See which you prefer.

Well here is my problem. My canopy has an open back. Will installing a fan really help that much more. I was told by someone that i should get a clip on fan from wal mart and aim that at the water in my sump and it will cool it. Will this work? any help would be great

i have two 10. fans from walmart, I hung a hook on the wall behind my tank, hung the fans and have them angled toward the tank....one wasnt enough for the amount of surface the tank has...
Putting it at the sump will help, will it help enough? I dunno...do it and see.

I built my hood for my 125 gallon. I built a heat (and electrical connection) Plenum on top and added fans to both ends. The fans pull the air out of the tank. They are above the light fixtures so they draw the hot air up.

Check out this thread and you can see how it was built. I may give you a few ideas about your existing top.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21619&highlight=

Mike

Back
Top Bottom