Chiller and refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladykrup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Questions! I am considering getting a chiller for my 55 gallon all fish tank for the summer. Last summer temp control was a problem and I will be away for a week with a friend feeding fish.

Is there one of these that is not horribly expensive and goes into the tank? I don't mind spending a couple hundred but not 5-700!

#2. I am curious about the refugium! Is it true that you can put plants in it and they will lower nitrates. No matter what I do my nitrates remain around 30-40. I guess that is OK but if the plants would work that would be cool! I saw on the CPR aquatics website a nice, thin and long one, but I am confused! Do you have to drill a hole in the tank? Is there one with just a hose? I would not do it if it were a major operation. I have fear of water going everywhere! So 2 questions, chiller and refugium! Thanks!

Your profile states you have "46 lb. of live rock". What are you using for filtration?
What is your substrate?
If you're using a wet/dry in a FO you probably won't get the nitrates much below where they are now without constant water changes.

There are several species of plants sold for the aquarium that can help reduce nitrates. Do a search on refugium and you should find quite a bit of information. They are usually found on a system with plenty of live rock (1½-2 pounds/gallon) and dsb (either in the tank or in the refugium).

We do have the wet/dry, protein skimmer, and live rock. Is it possible to put the plants directly into the aquarium?

Ladykrup said:
We do have the wet/dry, protein skimmer, and live rock. Is it possible to put the plants directly into the aquarium?

It is possible but a lot of fish may eat them, and you'll want to prune them as they grow. Most people will run them in a fuge with either 24/7 lighting or on a reverse schedule to the display tank to help maintain the ph so it doesn't drop at night.

I"m not sure about the chiller but I don't think you'll be able to get a decent quality one for a couple hundred dollars unless you look for a used one.

If you are worried about the nitrates I would remove the bio material in your wet/dry and add a little more LR. How often do you do water changes and what amount do you change?

Re: Profile update!

Ladykrup said:
How can I update my profile? Now our tank is about 7 months old.
At the top of the page is a button labeled "profile". Click that and scroll down the page. You will see a large box ""describe your tank"", you can alter the description there. 8)

Cheers
Steve

On some of the styles, you have to go to the home page and go to the personal links on the right, just under your avatar and Welcome username, there is a link to update your profile.

Ice Probe

I'm not in a position to give this product an endorsement yet..., but do a search for "ice probe". I think this is a pretty "cool" piece of chiller technology and it might work for a 55 gallon. It is pretty slick and SMALL, which is was really important for me.

They are available at a number of the on-line supply places and aren't nearly as expensive as refrig. units. Check Marine Depot under "Chillers". You'll see the Ice Probe on it's own, as well as a version mounted in a hang on filter.

I've got one, and my tank is about 40 gallons, including sump. I haven't had to use it yet, but I expect that I'll need it in the summer.

While designed to bulkhead directly into a tank, I was able to hang it so that it poked into the outflow of my skimmer, much like the "microchiller" on Marine Depot.

bulkhead..

It means "through a hole directly into the tank"...

Now that you mention it, I probably made up a verb there...sorry.

Back
Top Bottom