Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

82-84 is not too high? Even with fish?
When I thought I had a problem it was 84 and well I guess I wasn’t thinking when I asked the lfs. They said 80 & up was too high and not to let it stay there for long. My tank is still new but has recently finished cycling and I added 2 clowns about a week ago. I haven’t got the eggcrate yet but with 1 little $5 fan from Wallyworld and the lids open I dropped to 76-77. I ‘m guessing with the open eggcrate top & maybe another fan the summer heat wont be a problem.
I have learned a bunch but I’m still a newbie.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
82-84 is about as hot as you want it to get IMO but is not “too hot”, I keep mine around 80 as well. A lot of the fish that are wild caught come from these exact temperatures.

The most important thing is to keep it steady within a degree or two 24/7. The use of a heater (preferably titanium and two for redundancy) is a necessity to keep the temp from dropping during the night. Set your heater setting for the temp of the tank at its hottest.

Also any temperature changes should be done gradually ie: 2 degrees every 12 hours is reasonable. Dropping/rising more then that can stress fish and mobile inverts.

Edit: if you are expecting a rise in heat due to summer temperatures and you do not have air conditioning then I would recommend keeping your tank warmer now with heaters to avoid shifts in the next couple of months.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not clear about what you are saying- if it gous up to say 80 than turn the heat up so it is always 80?
I got the eggcrate last night and will put it on tonight, then everything will be changing again.
Thanks again,
Mike
Old 04-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmn101
if it goes up to say 80 than turn the heat up so it is always 80?
Exactly, or basically at the hottest point in the day turn your heater if on just to the point of the light going off. Otherwise you could have 5+ degree swings each night with the lights out.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chi, chiller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com