Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

ntswift, refrigerant in a refrigeration or air conditioning system NEVER but NEVER "wears" out. It can certainly combine with contaninents such as water to form destructive acids but as long as it stays clean it never "wears" out. As long as no leaks occur or it gets contaminated the refrigerant will last forever and ever and ever.

You are absolutely correct about the importance of the vacuum process with a certain caveat. Minute leaks can occur in any refrigeration system. Sometimes the leaks are so small that only the larger molecules the gas can escape and the smaller ones are left confined in the closed loop system and maintaining a positive pressure. In that case you could certainly and safely recharge a system without vacuuming the system.

Digressing again, this is a complicated subject with thousands of "what if's". I can talk forever on this ubject.

Angelscrx, the short answer is yes absolutely you could do it - depending on your level of mechanical expertise and willingness to invest in a few tools. If I were in your situation I would do it myself but I've had a few decades of experience do this stuff. PM me if you're interested and I can walk you through it.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, you are right it NEVER wears out. I was just saying that it will leak out way before that would ever happen which is never. So, the need to be "recharged" it is due to contaminets or loss of gas. Tex- Great advice for Angelscrx if he chooses to go that route!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
some of you know im not a saltie yet, but im curious as to why you would need a chiller, unless your keeping much colder fish?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc8719
some of you know im not a saltie yet, but im curious as to why you would need a chiller, unless your keeping much colder fish?
In some tanks such as mine you may need to keep the lights closer to the water to reach further in the tank. I have an unusually tall tank and wish to keep SPS so I have MHs in my canopy. I don't like the look of pendants so the heat builds up and the chiller keeps the tank from over heating. hth.

Tags
chi, chiller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com