Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
chiller required with metal halides?

Will metal halides heat up my tank so much that I mush use a chiller?
Any tips to avoid this costly item?

-50gal tank
-20gal tall sump / refugium.
-About 15-20 lbs of live rock
-60 lbs (3") of sand.
-2x65w power compact lights
-2x18w power compact in the refug.
-bak pak 2R
-3 LARGE feather dusters all differebt colors
-orange spotted goby
-fire fish
-12 or so hermits
-50-60 nassairus snails
-about 12 turno snails
-emrald crab
supermarvin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Not necessary, depending on the way your tank is set up and how hot your house is or can get. I have 2 250w MH lamps and my heater will still kick in. (I live in WI, and my tank is in the basement).

maxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 250 MH and a 4x65w Coralife and no chiller. I just have two fans in the canopy to keep things cool. It only changes about 2 degrees during the day. If your tank is in the basement, you shouldn't have any problems with the heat.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
I have 3 250watt MH on my tank i dont have a problem at all with heat in my tank. Maybe a degree or two difference in the temp during the day thats all. I do have 2 fans on while the lights are on also to cool it down.
" 'TAP TAP TAP'...Here fishy fishy fishy"
gooyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 175W pendant heated my 40 gallon Hex up significantly. It isn't normally a problem, but when the room temperature also gets hot, I need a fan directed at the sump water surface just to hold temperature within tolerance.

No point in attempting to cool the light itself.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3x250 MH lights on a 100 gal tank and I DO have a problem with temp control, which is increasing each day as the ambient temperature warms up in my house facing SW. I have two fans on top and one on the refugium. I am advised to get a chiller, but it seems there must be a better way. So back to the original question, how do you cool down a tank without a chiller?
kek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If the ambient temperature in the room is somewhat warm or your ventalation is low in the hood you may need to seek extra cooling via a fan blowing out of the canopy or blowing directly over the sump or tank. This will increase evaporation and thus cool the tank. If you need to drop 5* or more than a chiller might be required if you cant adjust other enviormental conditions like the room temperature.

Try to maintan the tank temp no higher than 82.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
I found for now just blowing a fan under the light is the cheapest way it does look a little bet werid but it does the job. Also to make it look more presentable they sell clip on fans on eBay.

SeriousDude5 is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, chiller, metal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com