chillers-so expensive!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live in TX and know I will need a chiller for my 55 gal tank. The thing is they are soooo expensive! Does anybody have any ideas on where can I get a cheap one, or have another method for cooling of water? Thanks guys...

Fans across the surface will help cool the water (and increase evaporation). How much do you need to cool the water? What is the room temp?

Room temp. in the summer is about 80. Right now is 35 outside and 73 inside the house. The thermometer is reading 74. So I know I'll definetly need something for summer. Thanks

What is your budget? A pacific coast 1/10 HP chiller is fairly inexspensive.

73 inside the house. The thermometer is reading 74. So I know I'll definetly need something for summer. Thanks

You tank is only 1F over room temp, you may not need a chiller. 81F would be fine for your tank, a fan could pretty easily drop that to 80F if you wanted.

What you actually want right now is a HEATER :) 74F is a bit chilly for a saltwater tank.

I live in TX, too. The 125g stays at a perfect temperature. If anything it needs a more powerful heater for these cold temperatures and being so close to flowing air from the outside. During the summer it never got above 78°F. Using your AC to cool your place down would be more effective, cheaper, and keep you cool as well. :) IMHO chillers aren't worth the expense. There's much more effective, inexpensive methods to cooling. If your tank has a cover, remove it. If your tank is using MH lighting, put more distance between the lights and the surface of the water. If you have any issues keeping your water below 82°F, that's when you should be looking for additional cooling.

The Ice probe is affordable, but it will have limited impact on 55gallons. I've found the fan on the surface of the water to be more effective than I expected.

I live in Maui, on the warmer side of the island, and have used a 1/5 hp chiller for 2 years now on my 55.

With room temperature in the 80's, my tank's lights pushed the aquarium's temp up to the high 80's, even with a fan.

My chiller keeps things an even 77 degrees F. I have had several problems with it, and it was expensive to begin with.

I live in Arizona and my temp runs between 79 and 81 degrees constantly..even in the summer. Fans will make a big difference as grim pointed out.
A chiller would be a great way to help keep things consistent though. :roll:

Mike

See, I am going back and forth with purchaseing one. After the hurricanes I am looking at next year. We are getting a generator....but since this is for emergencies only I keep walking away from it due to the price of one.

Back
Top Bottom