Chinese LED mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaWoWee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just thought id share my latest project to those who are contemplating on buying taotronics/reefbreeders type LEDs and have tanks with a canopy. I mounted two units to the ceiling over my 90 gallon build. It turned out pretty nice and it is blindingly bright. My canopy is short so i had to mount them as close to the ceiling as possible. Fortunate for me the fans blow out through the sides rather than on top.

image-629533991.jpg

image-476182257.jpg

image-944221514.jpg

image-4277658068.jpg

image-2048968761.jpg

image-689939329.jpg

image-3601193595.jpg

Theyre are not actual taotronics but in the end its all the product. They sell for an average of $100ea on my local reef forum which is why i never went the taotronics/reefbreeder route. Not dimmable though.

I got the same over my 90 jus to experiment on leds. My only advice is to put dem up higher. Ive had them from 5 inches over my water up to 2 feet. Ive seen best results in about 14 to 16 inches. My friend has 3 over a 300g tank dats 10ft long. So they are pretty powerful for a cheap price

I don't like the light being that close to the canopy. You are not giving enough space for the hot air to move around. The light will work but the increasing heat could lead to less life span of the fixture itself.

I don't like the light being that close to the canopy. You are not giving enough space for the hot air to move around. The light will work but the increasing heat could lead to less life span of the fixture itself.

Well the hot air actually shoots out of the side vents. The top is for the air intake and there is a 1/4" clearance between the canopy for air to go in. I also have a fan built into the canopy that has an integrated thermostat so it kicks on when the air inside the canopy reaches a certain temperature.

I got the same over my 90 jus to experiment on leds. My only advice is to put dem up higher. Ive had them from 5 inches over my water up to 2 feet. Ive seen best results in about 14 to 16 inches. My friend has 3 over a 300g tank dats 10ft long. So they are pretty powerful for a cheap price

I wish i could raise them up, but as you can see i dont much room to work with. I actually do not mind having them lower though because i want to make sure i have decent par on the sandbed and it seems like there are no dark spots in the tank but i dont have water in there yet so we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom