Chocolate chip starfish - what does he eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladykrup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We got a chocolate chip starfish, doing fine so far. Guy at the fish store said he was a scavenger, would eat leftover food and stuff (stuff, what stuff?). Do we need to feed him? If so, what? And more importantly, how? Thanks!

i was about to post the same question. i had to quarantine my fish due to parasites so now there is no leftovers for my chocolate chip star to eat. yesterday i saw him eating a snail and i realiezed it was time he got fed. i heard they like brine shrimp but to be honest i dont know hwo you would feed a star fish brine shrimp unless i stuck an IV into his arm and fed him through a tube.

I used to feed my brittle star by hand. I used to take Krill right up to him and he would jump onto my hand wrap himself around and eat the krill. I had to stop this practice because I he didn't want to lot go after awhile. I would just bring the food near him and he would snatch up with his leg and I would let it go. I never owned a chocolat chip star fish so I can't tell you this is a good or bad thing but he may lose interest in hunting for his food eventually because you are feeding him. I also used a seringe that is used to feed baby parrots and put a mixture of brine shrimp into it and squirt it in his direction and he would catch all kinds of food.

I don't know if anything I mentioned is harmful to the survival of your start fish but it worked for me.

Jc

Re: Starfish

Ladykrup said:
How can you tell if he is eating??????

Well I knew that he would it as I would feel little tugs on the kril... plus if he is anywhere on the glass you can watch him bring the food to his mouth in the middle of the star. ;)

Jc

i have the same star fish and i cant find him in the past 3 days and i cant find one of my damsels ??????? i dont get itttttt

I have to second astride13's post. I wanted one until I read about their appetites, maybe that's why they are so inexpensive?

Yes, I have also heard that this species of starfish is not for a reef tank. Go with a Brittle Star or Sea Serpent. I have a Sea Serpent and every morning when I feed the fish and inverts, he come crawling out at 15 mph! :eek:

:wink: You could probably put a lady chocolate-chip starfish in with him... :wink:

i just got a chocolate-chip star this weekend. From what I was told and what I plan to do, they'll eat any leftover food/particles that are in your tank. Evidentally they are good scavangers.

Back
Top Bottom