Chris's 55g saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey people,

I'm new to this hobby but just started my 55g tank. I have about 20 pounds of live rock and getting much more. I also have a yellow tang, two clown fish, a greenbird wrasse, and two yellow bell damsels. I'm looking for any advice and any ideas for my tank!!! The more the better!!!

Thanks guys!!

Probably best to start with some pix and/or questions or issues you are having.

Welcome to AA by the way. People on here are awesome and you will learn so much just by reading threads.

Thank you!! And I'm just seeing what you guys recommend for the amount of live rock and also any type of anneme you all like...here are some pics

image-3656729849.jpg

image-3544773524.jpg

image-1835854483.jpg

did you cycle this tank? just curious due to the lack of liverock thus far. what type of lighting are you running? an anemone needs good lighting and fairs much better in an established tank (5-10 months depending)

Thank you!! And I'm just seeing what you guys recommend for the amount of live rock and also any type of anneme you all like...here are some pics

Well it depends what your goals are. Most people with live rock would do more. Here's a picture of mine. It's a 125g with probably 200 lbs of lr.

It looks like you may have got ahead of yourself. Don't worry. A lot of people do when first starting out. This can be a very expensive hobby if you move too quickly. It is important to do a lot of research ahead of time and plan your goals. It looks like you may have skipped your nitrogen cycle (?) and if so all of those fish may be in danger.

How old is the tank?

Attachments

• image-2891713195.jpg
    image-2891713195.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 115
Can you tell me more about the nitrogen cycle? Haha sorry!! But I have gotten more live rock since those pics

Can you tell more about the nitrogen cycle? Haha sorry!! I have talked to people and they say it looks good but please tell me more about it and what I'm missing

Tank need to cycle to build up colonies of beneficial bacteria that convert harmful waste into less harmful substances

Living things make nitrogen waste in the form of ammonia which is really toxic to fish. Without the right bacteria this ammonia will build up and kill your fish. This is why you have to "cycle" a tank before adding any fish.

Given that you have question about this, I would guess that your fish are at risk.

How long has your tank been set up?
Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

A month now but no I don't have that but the people that I have talked to have said its fine to get fish now

Ok, so you had water, sand, and rock in it for about a month before adding the fish?

Yes just about a month now..I'm going to buy that kit you mentioned about and also if the nitrogen builds up how would you fix it? I just wanna make sure since you are very helpful

Ok, you definitely need those tests down the line anyway. If your tank is totally cycled you should get the following readings

Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrites = 0 ppm
Nitrates = 50 ppm or less

Ammonia and Nitrites are both really bad for fish. Here's how the nitrogen cycle works....

Ammonia is converted to nitrite by one species of bacteria. Then nitrites are converted to nitrates by another species of bacteria. Nitrates are usually removed by water changes which you should be doing every 1-2 weeks. Change out about 20% of your water. You can probably do a ten gallon water change.

When you test, if you find any ammonia or nitrites I would do a large water change, maybe 20 gallons or so.

Would you recommend a circulation fan? Anything else you would recommend?

Are you referring to water circulation? If so then yes, you need something to get the water moving in there. For a fowlr (fish only with live rock) system like yours I would recommend 10-20 times the tank volume for flow per hour. So you would be looking at around 550gph and 1100gph. I use koralia evolution for flow.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydor-koralia-evolution.html

There is a lot of good info on the web. It takes time to get used to the jargon but you will get there. I started my tank about 10 months ago and I have learned a ton this first year.

Another good article for a beginner....

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=223

Thank you for all your help!!! Is there anything else you recommend?

Not right now. Just ask questions when they come up. The more you post the more followers you will get. A lot of people that know more than me for sure.

Back
Top Bottom