Christmas Tree Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stowers02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few months ago I purchased a large Christmas tree coral (I believe some people call it a medusa coral). When I bought the coral, it was real rigid and colorful. Over the past few weeks it has faded and begun to "wilt" and no longer stands up straight. I have checked a few websites to make sure I am caring for it properly and found that many of the well respected sites contradict each other. Some sites say these corals require medium to high flow and high light intensity while others say low light and low flow. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with these corals and could recommend how I should care for it/position it in my tank.

I just checked a website that I refer to often and it says medium flow placement should be on the bottom. Lighting isn't an issue because this coral doesn't contain symbiotic algae. This does mean that you must feed this coral. Live baby brine shrimp or micro plankton(filter feeder food)HTH

They do like strong water flow usually but lighting is irrelevant. These corals are strict filter feeders and have no zooxanthellae to feed them otherwise. The coral has most likely not enough nutrient in your system to keep it healthy and will require feeding.

What do you generally feed the tank and do you target feed the coral?

Cheers
Steve

I do not target feed the coral. And I am not exactly sure how to even target feed a coral. I guess you just make sure that the food lands in the targeted coral area. I usually try to offer my tank a variety of foods including live brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, frozen plankton, pellet and flake foods. However, I have never noticed this coral "eat" anything. Any suggestions on how to feed it?

Stowers02 said:
However, I have never noticed this coral "eat" anything. Any suggestions on how to feed it?
The foods you mention are too large for this coral to gain anything from. You'll need very very finely minced seafoods. Either take what you already have and put small amounts in the blender or preferabley get some fresh seafoods and make your own blender mush with added marine vitamins and phytoplankton.

The easiest way to feed this coral is by covering it and saturating the container. I find a small plastic soda bottle well rinsed in hot water (no soap) the most versatile. The bottom can be cut off and placed over the coral. A small amount of the mush can be introduced through the small opening over the coral. If needs be the plastic cap can be used to keep the food in and other munchers out. 15-20 minutes like that a few times a week should see improvement in the corals health.

Back
Top Bottom