Christmas Tree Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's easy. Technical name is Feather Duster Coral. They aren't really corals either, they are worms. The 'christmas tree' is the gills of the worm which it uses to filter feed and breathe. If you keep things like Ph, Calcium, Nitrates (and of course ammonia and nitrite(goes without saying)) in line then you shouldn't have any problems. :D

Christmas Tree worms live in porites coral. Neither are easy to keep. The worms need to be fed and the coral need high intensity lighting (MH or T5HO) and all the pristine water parameters that go along with keeping SPS corals.

Christmas Tree worms live in porites coral. Neither are easy to keep. The worms need to be fed and the coral need high intensity lighting (MH or T5HO) and all the pristine water parameters that go along with keeping SPS corals.

i don't mean by those small colored feather duster, i meant the actual christmas tree coral like this
p-84783-christmas-tree.jpg

Studeriotes, I believe, can be mediocre to difficult in terms of care since they are azooxanthellate and require planktonic feedings probably at least x3 weekly. BBS will also suffice intermixed. They also prefer to be placed in the substrate with reasonable water flow.

Studeriotes, I believe, can be mediocre to difficult in terms of care since they are azooxanthellate and require planktonic feedings probably at least x3 weekly. BBS will also suffice intermixed. They also prefer to be placed in the substrate with reasonable water flow.

Not trying to steal this thread here but is a sun coral a azooxanthellate does that word mean a coral that requires no lighting.

In a nutshell, yes. Azooxanthellate means a coral without zooxanthellae.

Not sure which you meant, but Tubastrea's will survive and reproduce quite readily in home aquariums, though T. micrantha are more challenging than the other species. The Studeriotes are just uncommon (probably due to their lack of coloration) and probably why there's less success.

Back
Top Bottom