Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Christmas tree worms! (PICS now included)

I have a few questions regarding these awesome creatures!

My LFS just got a new shipment of rock in, and some of the pieces are covered in Christmas Tree Worms! I am tempted to scoop a piece of the rock up, only I don't really know much about them and don't want to end up killing them! The piece I am looking at has 3 of them on there, and they have some pieces that have 8 or 10 ... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!

Any general care advice you can give?

What do they eat ... or are they filter feeders?

and any special lighting requirements?

Thanks,
Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Jermz,
Here is a link to them at Drs. Foster and Smith. the fact that it has "Difficult" as the care level, makes me nervouse, as a newbie. May need a pretty mature tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=541

Keep us up on your progress.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are filter feeders that are rarely kept successfully for an extended period of time. Also the coral they are generally found in (Porites-SPS) requires high light levels.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just got one about a month and a half ago as a surprise with some live rock. It seems to be doing pretty well, I give Kents phyto-whatever? to it 3x per week. I live down in NPR and went to the store in Holiday if that's the LFS you are talking about. There was quite a bit of aiptasia on it.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #5

I just got one about a month and a half ago as a surprise with some live rock. It seems to be doing pretty well, I give Kents phyto-whatever? to it 3x per week. I live down in NPR and went to the store in Holiday if that's the LFS you are talking about. There was quite a bit of aiptasia on it.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
Nope, but I'm sure I know which one your refering to ... on the right just past the Home Depot?
I live in Spring Hill and if ya don't mind the drive there is a nice store just past County line road on the right hand side ... it's called Pet Paradise (same lot as "Friendlys' car wash")! They are mainly SW but have a little FW as well! Real good guys Javier and Frank.
They have some real nice rock ... some is loaded with Aiptasia ... some is not! Beautiful fish and can always order whatever you need!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 06-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #7

I've been there. I never noticed any live rock but that doesn't mean anything.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I stopped by the store on the way home from work and just couldn't pass it up, AND AN AMAZING DEAL ... $3.00/LB!!!!!

I know it has some Aiptasia on it, but I also snatched up some Joe's Juice to take care of them! It is the absolute most gorgeous piece of rock in my tank and just sets off the whole tank! This piece of rock weighed 5.89lbs to bring me to a grand total of 43lbs!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p6200791.jpg (49.7 KB, 68 views)

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I forgot to ask ... I also picked up some Cylopeez, what is the best way to feed this stuff?

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002

Tags
pics, worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com