Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Had a friend with a similar problem, the chromis were added to a tank that the clowns were king, nothing but problems. Another friend added chromis to a tank that a powder blue tang was king and the clowns didn't seem to care. The bigger the tank the better also. Your tank looks great, but the setup is such the clowms have claimed it.

125 gl (72.5x18.5x22), 33 breeder tank sump, 3 maxspect led, Diablo protein skimmer, 1"live sand base, 175lbs live rock, 2 Orange Clowns, 1 yellow tang, lawnmower blenny,several mushrooms and leather corals, a couple small acro's and a standard cuc. Tank transferred from 55 on 24 Dec 2011
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks like they're letting Rocky live. He's still kicking and was out eating today. The clowns never even bothered him while eating.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is the exact same thing that has happened to me. I have 2 true percula clowns in my 125gal for a year. Then I introduced 5 green chromis, and they killed them all except for one. I changed the aquascaping, turned off the lights, etc...nothing worked. It's just the fact that it was the clownfishes territory. That's all they know!

Well, 4 of the chromis were killed but the one chromis that is left is just fine and has been for about 6 months. The female still chases him around constantly every day- but he is quicker than the clownfish. Good luck with yours.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I don't think that will work. The way I see it you have 2 choices:
1. keep a lightly stocked tank
2. get rid of the clowns.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

take the clowns out for a few weeks and re introduce them, make them get used to a different home then they would be less teritorial
Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't ever go with option 2. I'm not going to send them to an almost certain death somewhere else just so I can be selfish and get more fish. I don't have a seperate tank running at the moment so I can't move them.
The clowns live in the front of the tank, right on the sand. If I were to put a rock on the sand would that be enough to make them find a new home and be less territorial or does one really need to move everything? Because I can't do the latter...
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

they might try and push the rock aside but no they prob wouldn't be less territorial
Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I doubt that will work. I moved the rock scape completely around once for a super aggressive clown tang and it didn't make any difference. He still tormented all the other fish.
As a matter of fact, i sold him to a guy that had a predator tank and the clown tang was the smallest fish in it, and it wound up tormenting all the predators in his tank too!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol thats pretty funny i guess surgeons liek to use those blades for evil.

aren't clown tangs known to be aggressive though?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergie
I wouldn't ever go with option 2. I'm not going to send them to an almost certain death somewhere else just so I can be selfish and get more fish. I don't have a seperate tank running at the moment so I can't move them.
The clowns live in the front of the tank, right on the sand. If I were to put a rock on the sand would that be enough to make them find a new home and be less territorial or does one really need to move everything? Because I can't do the latter...
They wouldn't go to almost certain death somewhere else, would they? Trade them with another reefer, or back to the lfs. If you introduce more docile fish, the same outcome will happen.

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chromis, clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com