Chromis Question: Don't want to overstock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TKEON230

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 40 gallon breeder tank is getting to the point where I can start adding fish. I want to be able to plan my tank well in advance so I don't mess anything up along the way. Currently my tank has cycled and I've added the cleaner crew which includes about 20 snails and 2 cleaner shrimp. Fish-wise I plan on adding a Firefish, 2 O. Clownfish, and possibly some Blue Green Chromis. I really want the Chromis to school, but I wasn't sure how many would be safe to have in the tank without overstocking it. Does anybody have any suggestions as to a safe number to add...if any at all? Also, is there a preferred order to add the fish so that the lesser aggressive ones have a chance to settle in? Thanks for the help in advance...

I'd go for 3 small chromis. I don't think any of your choices are aggressive, but the firefish can be jumpers. Also might consider adding some hermits to your cleaning crew to eat leftover food after you add fish. As you add each fish (or group), watch your parameters.

I would put 5 in. Believe me, when the smoke clears (After a week) you will be left with 3. Chromis are notorious magicians with a propensity of making eachother disappear.

I concur with above. Add some hermits and ultimately go with 3-5 chromis. 5 not because you think they will die, but because they tend to produce a low bioload and 5 will be a nice school. That is only if you do not plan to add any other fish as that would be your limit.

Another option would be to think about a single dwarf angel.

Of course you will add these slowly over time. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom