Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2004, 11:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

should be ok

Old 08-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresco
Your not alone on this one Sneaker. I have an agressive tank, and i am constantly killing off aips. I have killed as many as 50 in one dosing. Still they come back. The problem is, you will always miss that one that is hiding in the back of your tank, under some rocks, in your overflow, or even in your tubing. I cant have any pepermint shrimp in my tank for more than an hour. They are snacks for my other fish. I cant have a CBB either. They stress too easy, first off and secondly, its too hard to find one that is big enough to survive a few minutes in my tank without becomming lunch. I have pretty much given into the fact that this tank will always have aips in it. I just try to keep them out of the front so you cant really see them. Although i do have a couple that are HUGE, and you can see them from across the room, at night, with your eyes closed.

If only you could buy Joe's Juice in bulk at Costco...

Maybe get a CBB and raise it in a friends tank till it gains in size and try to introduce it to the tank... just a thought

Old 08-27-2004, 04:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Berghia Verrucicornis are indeed a cinch to breed, and a article detailing such is in the archives a few months back Reefkeeping Online Magazine: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-0...ture/index.htm

The biggest issue I have found is that they do not find every aiptasia either, but rather as the aips disappear so does the population of Berghia. The aips then are able to make a comeback (and thus the Berghia population rebounds as well). I have yet to be able to study any long term evidence of if a side ever eventually wins . It would really depend on the size of the tank. If the tank is small, the Berghia could probably wander and find the last ones before starving and thus be very effective. However, if used in a larger tank..that is quite a bit of real estate to happen upon remaining pests.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Berghia Verrucicornis are indeed a cinch to breed, and a article detailing such is in the archives a few months back Reefkeeping Online Magazine: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-0...ture/index.htm

The biggest issue I have found is that they do not find every aiptasia either, but rather as the aips disappear so does the population of Berghia. The aips then are able to make a comeback (and thus the Berghia population rebounds as well). I have yet to be able to study any long term evidence of if a side ever eventually wins . It would really depend on the size of the tank. If the tank is small, the Berghia could probably wander and find the last ones before starving and thus be very effective. However, if used in a larger tank..that is quite a bit of real estate to happen upon remaining pests
Joes Juice is great but they multiply faster than I can get em. I'm thinking about agressive treatment. For my 110, I think I'm going to get 12 pepermint shrimp and about 3 Berghia Verrucicornis.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would nuke with the JJ, and then follow up with the peppermint shrimp. Save your money on the Berghia. In a 110g, 3 will go there separate ways and have no real chance at establishing a breeding population. The only realistic option would be to take those 3 and set up a culturing station to rear a Berghia v. army....but then you are talking about the work involved to do so.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

True, plus they seem to be out of stock anyways.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

www.inlandaquatics.com has and abundance in stock most of the time, at least when I ordered my starter culture back around May/June....if you decide they are an avenue you would like to try.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If only you could buy Joe's Juice in bulk at Costco...
Thats the first item on my list to Santa this year.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Predators?

Does the Berghia have any predators? Will my Gramma eat it (he seems to eat everything else)?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tried joes juice for a while. It works well when you can get to them but no matter what you hear they won't just sit back and drink their death. I ended up getting a peppermint and couldn't be happier. The shrimp didn't eat for about a week and then one morning i got up and they were all gone

Tags
aiptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com