Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Chronic Aiptasia

As much as I use Joe's juice and remove aiptasia it comes back in a couple weeks, any ideas on how to combat this issue?

Is there some kind of change I can make to my water chemistry or anything else to be proactive?

Old 08-25-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try a couple of Peppermint Shrimp, they are supposed to eat Aips.

100lbs Live Rock
20g Refugium
(1) Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(2) False Percs
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Spotted Mandarin
(1) Red Brittle Star
(1) Banded Serpent Star

"But then again, fish do tend to eat one another. I often wonder ... if fish get awfully tired of seafood? What are your thoughts Hobson?"
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The juice is really the best method if you can keep up with it.. otherwise as gear-head suggested, Peppermint shrimp may eat them.. or if you can't do inverts then a Copperband butterfly.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your not alone on this one Sneaker. I have an agressive tank, and i am constantly killing off aips. I have killed as many as 50 in one dosing. Still they come back. The problem is, you will always miss that one that is hiding in the back of your tank, under some rocks, in your overflow, or even in your tubing. I cant have any pepermint shrimp in my tank for more than an hour. They are snacks for my other fish. I cant have a CBB either. They stress too easy, first off and secondly, its too hard to find one that is big enough to survive a few minutes in my tank without becomming lunch. I have pretty much given into the fact that this tank will always have aips in it. I just try to keep them out of the front so you cant really see them. Although i do have a couple that are HUGE, and you can see them from across the room, at night, with your eyes closed.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.seaslugs.com/main.htm

try these if ya can !! they are the best but will eat a ton of them fast and then starve ! mabe someone close to you could use them when ya finish with them
Old 08-25-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
you will always miss that one that is hiding in the back of your tank

I have 10 to 12 peps in my 150, any aptasia never stood a chance, even the one that was 2 to 2 1/2. They just scurry around picking them off at will.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
http://www.seaslugs.com/main.htm

try these if ya can !! they are the best but will eat a ton of them fast and then starve ! mabe someone close to you could use them when ya finish with them
Interesting. Anyone know anything further on these?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i know they breed very very fast !! there is a guy close to me that was raising some but couldnt keep enough aptasia growing to keep up ! i cleaned my fuge once (i had a ton in it ) for him to help out !! he said they will hunt down every last one in no time
from what i gathered one will clean out a tank in a month time ! the babies alittle longer but they group up on one aptasia's at a time from what he told me !!
the issue with me from ordering was keeping a supply of food for them !! ya know aptasia grow fast but didnt know if there is a way to speed up the population ? one idea i had was to keep a 10 gallon for them use no skimmer and feed alot to try to keep food for the animal ! but thought if it was that easy alot would do it
Old 08-26-2004, 10:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.seaslugs.com
Old 08-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you everyone, now one more question, I have a Banded Coral Shrimp
(Stenopus hispidus) will a Peppermint shrimp get along with it? I assume so since they are both pretty peaceful.

Tags
aiptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com