Circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ya, Ya, I know "it's him again"

One day I will contribute to this forum, but until then here is another question.

You can read my tank specs in my sig.

the P. Skimmer and hob filter is all I have for circulation. Is this enough?

I know it my be hard to tell without seeing the LR placement (it's all bunched in the back), but what can you tell me? :?:

PS. These smilies represent in order the first few weeks of my new SW hobby. :?: :eek: :D 8O :( :roll: :x :oops: :evil: maybe one day... 8) ......NAH!!!

Well, you need a minimum of 750 gph with more being better. I'd put a maxi jet 1200 on each end of the tank at least. You could do a closed loop with an external pump as well. I would add at least another 600-700 gph. Also, you want to get turbulence instead of laminar flow. Currents colliding with each other.

Closed loop? External Pump? Sorry I am stup....a newb!

How do I get the turbulence instead of the laminar flow?

Closed loop is a pipe that EXITS the tank from one hole and enters thru another and has a pump inbetween, thus it doesnt need a sump to operate. I would say you need more circulation if you are going to do any corals. Powerheads are effective with this and if you have the BUCKS go with at TUNZE stream! Which is a VERY powerful powerhead and requires no Closed loop

I currently have a tank that has 2 holes in the corner. I have the water level just below a retaining wall, and that prevents any water getting out the holes since Im not useing a trickle filter. Could you tell me how to do it, or post a diagram if you get time?

Im not sure how it works. Will I need a tank of tub underneath for this or what?

Thanks! :)

There is a good article (i wrote it myself so Im biased) in our articles area on sumps. It basicly gives the background premis of them. You can use the two holes you have as drains down to the sump. All the sump is would be a water storage vessle. A rubbermaid tub can be used or a spair aquarium or you could have something made special.

A pump would reside in th esump to pump the water back to the tank via some PVC or hose. You could ten put your skimmer on your sump as well as your heaters to get them out of the display tank.

The sump adds additional water volume as well as adds additional flow to the tank.

A close loop would simply take the two drains and plumb them into a pump or two pumps inlets and then you would plumb the pumps outlet back to the tank. Its called a closed loop because there is no place for water to be added or taken out.

fishfreek said:
There is a good article (i wrote it myself so Im biased) in our articles area on sumps.

:lol: It is a good article.

Here is what I would do with this tank. It's already drilled with internal overflows. It would almost be a crime not to put them to use. I'd get a sump...either purchase a prefab or build your own. Put all the equipment in there to reduce the tank clutter. I would then set up a closed loop using a pressure rated pump such as a Blueline 40HD. You'll have a PVC pipe coming over the back edge of the tank in about the center. Put a strainer on it...most online aquarium shops offer the strainers in all sizes. This will go to the suction side of the pump. Come out of the pressure side of the pump into a SQWD. This is a device that switches flow. Come out of the SQWD and run a line to each end of the tank. The SQWD will alternate the flow between the two lines giving you some back and forth wave action in the tank. The reason I would not use the internal overflows to feed a closed loop is that you have very little water reserve before the pump runs dry. With a sump, you have sort of a reservoir of extra water there. If the water level drops a couple of inches from evaporation, your return pump will not run dry. If you are feeding the closed loop from the overflows, a drop of 1" in the water level in the main tank will cause the closed loop pump to run dry. Pumps that run dry tend to get very unhappy very quickly :) . JMHO.

I think for now that I am going to do the setup with a rubbermade tub fits under the aquarium. Now correct me if I am wrong.

The Water flows down and out one of the 2 holes. It is then circulated, warmed, filtered, and pumped back up into the tank.

Questions:
How much water should be kept in the sump?
What Kind of pump will be sufficient?
How and where is the pump hooked up?
Does the pipe thats going to run the water back into the tank fit onto the pump?
Am I Dumb?
Can I just remove the sump to make the water change?
Does The hob filter go on the sump also?

Thanks for the help!

revhtree said:
Questions:
How much water should be kept in the sump?

As much as you can and still leave enough capacity to handle what will drain down if the power goes out or the pump quits.

What Kind of pump will be sufficient?

I'd probably go with about a Mag 7.

How and where is the pump hooked up?

The pump will sit in the sump. The return will connect to the pressure outlet on the pump and go up to the tank. Probably via a bulkhead fitting through the hole you aren't using for the drain.

Does the pipe thats going to run the water back into the tank fit onto the pump?

Yes...see above.

Am I Dumb?

Not at all...you're learning. Some of this stuff can be pretty intimidating if you've never done it before. Remember...I'm not too far away. If you get in a bind, I can come help you set it up one evening.

Can I just remove the sump to make the water change?

I wouldn't...too much trouble. I'd just siphon the water out or use a Python.

Does The hob filter go on the sump also?

If you have enough LR, and I can't remember how much you had, I wouldn't even bother with the HOB filter.

Logan! Hey how you doing? I forgot you were so close. I'm going to try this in a couple of weeks and see what happens. New Fish. My protein skimmer and my hob filter are my only source of water movement. Will I need a power head or two? What Kind?

Thanks Neighbor,
Let's keep in touch.

Also thanks to everyone else for the help.

I'd probably go with a pair of Maxi Jet 1200's. Everyone has their favorite...I won't even consider anything else though. They are about the best inexpensive PH available.

I also have a 75 gal. I was looking at the maxi jet 1200 like logan suggested, but decided on 3 maxijet 900. It will give you a bit more flow, but what I liked was more flexibility with where I put them to create water movement. Most people recomend 10 x the tank size for flow

Back
Top Bottom