Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Circulation in a 60 gallon tank

Ok I'm new at this. I bought these circulation fans that are rated at 800 gph. I read that everything is rated for fresh water and you need double for salt water. I read that you want to have circulation at about 10x the capacity of the tank. So this would be 2 fans at 300 gph. I think I went over board. My fish tend to stay still and not swim around too much. They can swim, but when I turn off the fans they seem to move around more. I notice where I bought the fish they were in small tanks with no powerheads. Are they out of shape?or are my fans to powerful?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of fish do you have?

Some fish like cardinals stay in one place, especially the pajama and the bangi.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
What type of fish do you have?

Some fish like cardinals stay in one place, especially the pajama and the bangi.
Right now I got three chromis and a clownfish.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The Chromis hang out in the main water column, but do swim around a lot. Lots of circulation is a good thing as I have dove with these fish on reefs where the current would almost pull your mask off. They shouldn't be blowing around like leaves on a windy day. But they can hug the rocks and avoid most currents. Good exercise for them.

Tags
60 gallon, circulation, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com