Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Circulation pump for a 30 gallon?

I was wondering what kind of circulation pump I should get for a 30 gallon tank and where to place them. I have one RIO 400 placed about mid high on the right side of my tank. I was looking at getting another one unless someone has a better idea for one.

Thanks,
josh

Old 11-24-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
cj10488

If you want cheap water movement check for the Via Aqua pumps from www.drfostersmith.com about 4.00-$10.00 depending on size.. I would say that about another 200gph pump would be nice pointing towards the other one so that the water smashes into the output of the other making the waterflow somewhat chaotic

HTH,
James
Old 11-24-2003, 11:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I personally have a love affair with maxijet powerheads. THey are not overly expensive and outperform RIO's in my book.

A pair of Maxijet1200's would go great in the 30.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im adding a maxijet to my 30 gal as soon as it comes in the mail...i currently have a rio towards the top of the tank to break up the water surface so I don't get that film and to help with oxygenation. I was thinking about putting this new on mid to lower level in the tank.....any probs with that? Will it make a funky current? I just don't wanna stress my fish and inverts....I doubt this would, but hey, ya never know!
Old 11-25-2003, 03:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You should be fine with the current. Infact what you want is to have a random disturbance of water so that corals sway back and forth.

What I like to do is put powerheads on opposings sides of the tank blowing toward eachother. What you get is a good bit of random current in the middle area of the tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

how are the via aqua pumps?? do they start everytime unlike rios??

Tags
30 gallon, circulation, circulation pump, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com