Clam ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefvettech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So 1 week ago I purchased sun coral polyps, very cool and a great deal. When I got it home, I removed some of the polyps to place in other areas of the tank. Then I noticed several barnacles underneath (had never seen these before) Everything is doing great, polyps are eating well and have great color. Today, while admiring my new piece, the rock they are on suddenly split open along one side, and it appears to be opening and closing very slowly and moving water thru. Is this a clam? If so, its the best $30 I've spent. Do I need to do anything special for it? Also, how often should I be feeding the polyps, most of the stuff I've seen on the web says 1-3 times a week, but my LFS said daily.

Please post some pictures if possible. It might be a smaller clam, or a mussel, or a scallop

What you've read is true, they do not need daily feedings. Just be sure each and every polyp on the Tubastraea gets fed. They are individual animals and do not share food resources. As for your hitchiker clam, it is actaully quite common but do not expect it to live all that long. A few months at most due to the fact it will be a strict filter feeder. You can attempt to keep it fed but more commonly it will perish from lack of food. If you do attempt to feed the clam, do so outside the main tank or in a suspended breeder box independant of the tank water. Feeding animals like this will have serious affects on your tanks water quality in short order.

Cheers
Steve

I have the son polyps also and I feed mine about 2 times a week. They definitely dont need it every day. I have pics in my gallery of mine.

Sun polyps are non photosynthetic so it is recommended to target an extra feed or two during the week. Good water flow may prevent the need for extra feeds and feeding after the daylights are off will also help ensure enough nutrition makes it to all the polyps.

Beautiful coral aren't they?!?

I have a clam that looks like a rock. It came in with the LR. I looked it up and ID'd it to be a Turkeywing clam. I've had it for several years and it has never broken open, so it must still be alive. Muscles and scallops however are not known to have such lifespans. Usually lasting only for about 3 to 6 months at best. For such critters, it may be best not to take any special measures to cater to it. If it's strong enough and able to adapt, it'll stick around and feed on the natural nitrates the tank may produce. Though if it starts to break open with torn and/or rotten flesh, take it out.

Back
Top Bottom