Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
yea i kno ur supposed to add later i was tryn to learn up b4 i even considered it

Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I added mine (derasa, I think, can't remember) at about 6 months and it is the easiest most beautiful thing in my tank. I squirt a little DT's at it every now and again. I did read quite a bit before I bought mine too. I read not to buy one smaller than 3 inches because the success rate if very poor. I am amazed how sensitive it is. I can pass my hand over the top of the tank and it will "clam up". It hopped around a bit at first until it found a spot on the bottom of my tank that it liked. I do have really good lighting (MH and blue actinic) and my water is very good and stable. It not an exciting addition but mine is dark purple and blue and just beautiful. When you are ready I would recommend getting one. I will try to get you a pic of mine tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your tank is cycling then you shouldnt have any stock. Hermits , fish , and especially a clam. Clams are an expert stocking item and more so because they perfer a mature tank. 1 yrs with good maintance and low stocking would achieve this in most cases.

The fact you added stock means your tank will tanke longer to cycle with good chance the stock you have will die.

You need a good bacteria population. The bacteria is what helps hold the bio load you put in the tank. Bio load from fish and coral and CUC. Though coral put little load but like good water quality.

Most of the stock you buy has been caught from an ocean reef to be bought but you and deserves the best chance. To reduce wasted money and time , which to me is more important , then get a startup book and research any and all changes from stock to equipment.

Heres 2 helpfull links.GL.

What is the Nitrogen Cycling Process?

Amazon.com: The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide: Michael S. Paletta, Edward Kadunc, Scott W. Michael, John Goodman: Books
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i know that you cycle before adding stuff, i just added some crabs to amuse me and ive talked to some experts and theyve said that it is fine. i dont care too much if it takes a little longer. i know about cycling, ive researched it for a few months and i kno that you dont normally add livestock but it was just so boring to watch. im not a total newb. i was asking this question in advance so i could do research before i get 1 in a few months if i do even get 1. i guess i should have mentioned that earlier
Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im guessing your experts are the LFS.

What is the Nitrogen Cycling Process?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

some of em are and some are other people that i know that have been doing it for many many many years
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only say this with best intentions. If you always rely on others advice you will only fail. You need to take control of this tank for any chance of long term success.

Your LFS need money to survive and most will sell or tell you anything.And others only go by there experiance and not all tanks are the same. You need to learn how and why this small miracle is even possible to have in your living room. Anybody can throw a tank together and seem to have success for a for months or more. But most problems that cause failer happen after 1 yr. Without the basic understanding you will only get more confused. Ending up frustrated and selling everything for penny;s on the dollar.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

this is kinda why i made this thread to get some opinions on clam care. not to have all of these type discussions.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is advice. Adding this clam with only the advice of the person you bought it from is a big no no. The LFS is a usefull device but go in prepared on the purchase. This is easy. Before you even fill the tank with water you should have a plan from water source to most if not all your stock needed and or wanted knowing there care needs upfront. Clams are filter feeders and help control nitrate. With low to no other stock then the amount of food you need to add means tons of waste that collects causeing poor water quality that clams dont like.

This is a fairly new hobby and theres lots still unkown. But a basic setup is known to work well.
Adding a clam so soon is like tieing your shoes before you put them on.
I am only trying to help.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:43 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

k thanks, ill do a lot more research on the topic!

Tags
clam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com