clam care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to mention that I've purchased my clams from www.clamsdirect.com and have nothing but great things to say about this place. Very, very healthy clams and the owner is super helpful.....he even called later in the day to ask if everything arrived well and asked if I had any questions etc.

Lance, I'm pretty sure HoCkEyGmC made it clear that he was cycling and knows he cannot add anything at this time... I don't see a point either in telling him that the people he is getting his advice from don't know what they are talking about. Do you know them?

I only say this with best intentions. If you always rely on others advice you will only fail.

Then why are you here?

Please stay on topic.

Just to reiterate, you are looking for excellent water conditions, stable PH, low NitrAte and at the very least 4 months post cycle. The longer you wait after you finish your cycle the better chances a clam will have in your system.

Strong lighting and good flow are also important to clam health. Most clams smaller then say 2-3" will require phytoplankton to keep them happy. Since you have a smaller tank I expect you will start out with a smaller clam. Also if a calm is something you are really interested in then you need to make your fish selection such that is compatible with a clam. Again with a smaller tank you will not be able to get some of the fish that will nip at clams but you still want to make sure the fish you do select aren't going to bother a clam.

I agree with MsBeanCtr about waiting for 6 months or more before adding a clam.

There are some amazing clams available to the hobby and many of them have been bred in captivity.

I didnt say they didnt know what they where talking about. They are a business and need to make money. You need to go in prepared on your purchase to avoid this. And if they sold him a Clam for his cycling tank then i think its safe to say they only care bout there bottom line and not his success on that purchase. Its good advice IMO.

Lance, I'm pretty sure HoCkEyGmC made it clear that he was cycling and knows he cannot add anything at this time... I don't see a point either in telling him that the people he is getting his advice from don't know what they are talking about. Do you know them?

Then why are you here?

Please stay on topic.

HoCkEyGmC, In small tank you may want to remove the clam for feeding (DT's phtoplankton) in a small bown and then return it to the tank after about 20 minutes. DT's can foul your water if you don't have a great skimmer.

Lance, HoCkEyGmC made it clear that this was research BEFORE BUYING. The lfs didn't sell any livestock yet.

I would not anything right now. Finish your cycle and then do a large PWC and then test to see if you need to add anything. For alot of folks including myself frequent PWC`s will take care of what`s needed in the tank.

what chemicals should i add? any besides calcium?

I wouldn't add anything that you don't test for. I'm obsessive about pwc every week and FWIW I think that replenishes anything my system needs. I don't add anything and my derasa is doing fine. Keep up with your water changes and that's a great start.

Oh, and kudos to Melosu for suggesting the oceanic salt-it has increased my calcium, so I don't need to dose anymore!

Back
Top Bottom