Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2005, 12:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Clam Happiness?

I just picked up a 4" crocea clam yesterday, and I'm not entirely sure how to tell if it's happy or not. The mantle is fully extended and open, but it's not laying down on the sides of the clam - it's extended a bit upwards.

Here's a photo:

Does it look okay, or does it look stressed?

70g SW
1 percula clownfish
Natterjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What was the acclimation procedure you used? Might just need to give it time to acclimate. What kind of lighting do you have?

Mike

Old 01-29-2005, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow, looks beautiful to me, but I know little about clams. Looking to get one down the road, so looking forward to other replies.

Jim
Old 01-29-2005, 12:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clams can be pretty hardy provided the right lighting, and water chemistry is available. From what I hear, they can also help with lowering Nitrates as well. They are beautiful specimens.

Mike
Old 01-29-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I acclimated as I usually do - letting the bag float, and adding small amounts of water every 10 minutes or so for about an hour.

I placed it a bit higher on the rocks yesterday, and the mantle was open and folded over. In the morning, I found that it had pushed itself over on to the sandbed, so I placed it lower where it is now. Now the mantle is more extended, but reaching upward.

I have a 250w MH bulb (tank is 36" wide and 28" tall) and 2x96 PC actinics. I'm wondering if I should place it up higher or just wait and see how it does where it is.

70g SW
1 percula clownfish
Old 01-29-2005, 01:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you got it from a pet shop that had it under 250w mh then light acclimation wouldnt be a issue but if they had it under just pc then yes it will need some acclimation to the light ! but from the pic it looked to me that thats not an issue looks good
Old 01-29-2005, 02:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It looks quite happy to me. They are quite capable of moving themselves around as they see fit (within reason). It will send down some sort of "rooting" system once it stops wiggling around.

Mine has wandered about 1 foot since it was first placed. It eventually got to a spot where it wedged between the glass and a rock....and it has been there for 6 months or so now.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have a 250w MH bulb (tank is 36" wide and 28" tall) and 2x96 PC actinics. I'm wondering if I should place it up higher or just wait and see how it does where it is.
It's hard to see exactly where it is, but Crocea are high light clams(rock dwellers, not sand), so 1/2-3/4ths the way up your tank would be best. Be careful they can "spit" water so not to close to the surface esp. with a MH lamp! 28" tall by 36" wide is alot of area for a single 250watt MH, so keep the clam close to lamp in order to keep it's coloration. Looks good, best of luck. HTH
Old 01-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice looking clam. Since crocea are rock borers try placing a semi flat rock or clam shell under the crocea so it can attach to something, plus it makes it easier for you to move the clam around. If the clam attaches to something and you don't like it's location it's tricky to get the clam to un-attach so it can be moved.

Natterjak, I live right by Dublin. Which LFS do you visit?
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

He's on a smallish piece of LR right now, but I may try that shell suggestion in case I want to move him up higher.

I go all over the place for LFS's. I usually go to Aquatic Gallery, Aquatic Variations, Mermaid Aquarium (where I got the clam), Aquarium Concepts, The Aquarium, and All About Fish. I also go to Connie's in Castro Valley, but mostly for water and dry goods.

70g SW
1 percula clownfish

Tags
clam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com