Clam killed my clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qube

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my clownfish pair began hosting my derasa clam about 3 weeks ago and it lead to an unfortunate set of circumstances. I woke up this morning to the of the male clownfish sticking out of a tightly closed clam. I guess he got a little rough on the clam sometime yesterday evening and the clam closed up on his head. Just a little warning I'm sending out to those of you who have clowns hosting a clam...

I'll be darned. Didn't think that would happen.

I always wondered what it would be look to have one of those monster Gigas Clams slam shut on your hand. I see them at the LFS in shallow tanks. No doubt, it would break bones, but can you imagine trying to get it off and the pain involved? Yikes

I am sure the clam was fed up with the clown fish. They don't like being pestered. My dwarf angels make sure a clam isn't welcome in my main reef tank. The wrasses would also destroy a clam. But I only have a goby and shrimp in my frag system, so now I have two clams that are growing well and getting ready to buy another one for that tank. It is shallow for SPS with the moving 1500 PAR light, so the clams seem to think they are right at home so far.

Wish I had snapped a pic. Didn't even think of grabbing the phone before pulling him out.

Back
Top Bottom