Clam needs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
My great partner just came home with a beautiful clam (Squamosa Clam)
but i dont know whats its needs are, i know lots of Calcuim, but how can i feed it?
what else do i need
(yes i have halides)

Get a calcium reactor. If you have enough in the water you will see a tremendous growth in clams. The tips of the shell will be white with new growth. Once it's there a while it will turn dark of course...but with enough calcium, they will just grow and grow...

Don't know of anything other than that...sorry.

Do you know it's history?

Because we may not be sure how much light it is accustomed to, start it off at the bottom of the tank. Some aquarists gradually move it upward, a few inches every week or two. Great care must be taken to ensure the clam does not fall off of it's perch. Some have used small glass ashtrays filled with substrate to act as a clam bed.
Once the clam's byssal gland or foot has securely attached to something, it is best to leave it alone. It can reside quite happily on the bottom, for it is one of the less demanding clams after T. derasa and T. gigas.
When the Tridacnids are tiny (under two inches), they are aggressive filter feeders. After they are about 2.5 inches, they rely almost solely on the photosynthic zooxanthellae in their mantle. Phytoplankton is not necessary, nor other foods (but I am sure some of your other critters would benefit from tiny periodic doses!).

a calcium reactor is not a must. There are many other acceptable means to keep the calcium levels up for a clam.

as already mentioned, if the clam is below 2.5 inches, you will need to feed it several times a week with a filter feeder food. It cannot rely solely on light until it is larger.

Be sure to keep an eye on your fish. I have had tangs that decided clams were tasty. While this is not the rule, each fish has its own little quirks.

I had made a nifty little clam feeder a few years back when I had some baby clams, if yours are small, send me a PM and I will try to find the pics for you.

as already mentioned, if the clam is below 2.5 inches, you will need to feed it several times a week with a filter feeder food. It cannot rely solely on light until it is larger.

Good point. Strange though, from a book that I read, the author stated that clams that are below 3 inches or so don't require feeding. Only the larger ones need additional feeding due to their size. Their mantles are thicker with overlapping **** (geez that word just blanked off XD "those cells that absorb light"). Because the **** are overlaying/shading each other, the clams can't get enough food from light to support its large body.

I agree, I've heard this from several people and places. I feed my clams about once every two weeks or so just to keep it nice and fat and healthy. Of course if your lighting isn't providing enough "food" for it you may have to supplement it with plankton as stated before.

Great care must be taken to ensure the clam does not fall off of it's perch. Some have used small glass ashtrays filled with substrate to act as a clam bed.

That's an awesome idea. I need to go get some ashtrays! However I think the squamosa is a sand dwelling species and I think it may do best on the sand. Not to say that you still shouldn't get the ashtray because it will help provide it some protection from beneth the clam. You should acclimate the clam to your lighting schedule also. That way you dont stress it out too much or shock it too bad. Good luck!

We actually had a T. gigas that outgrew it's margarita glass! It flexed, and broke the side off.
ntswift is correct in mentioning the added protection of the glass on the byssal gland.

Back
Top Bottom