clam placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a new crocea clam which I think is very happy in my tank. I have 2 175 watt halides which are mounted 12 inches above the water. My tank is 20 inches deep. It is on the sand right now, but dont croceas like to be on the rock? I have a sand bed with a plenum underneath, and I do not want him to bore into my plenum. Should I move him to the rock? 8O

You can either move it to a rock, or find a rock with a concave area, and bury that just below the surface of the sand, so you get the best of both worlds. If you can't find a rock that has a concave area...you can create one with a dremel ;)

I would move the Crocea up onto the rocks and as close as you can to the lights.
Croceas are one of the clams that demand lots of light.
I have a 75 with 2 - 175 MH 5500k and needed to bring it up close, My lights are resting right on the tank (glass top). Croceas will bore into the rock to anchor themselves. My Avatar is my Crocea and it is maybe 8" below my MH. Good luck with your clam.

I doubt it will be necessary to move the crocea high in the tank, if place directly under the bulb on the sand or low rocks...it should be fine. I had a crocea at the bottom of a 24" tank for years under vho, it always grew well and had superb color.

John, why did you find it necessary to move it to the top of the tank? I have no doubt that the clam liked the higher light, but do not feel it is necessary for the cams health and growth.

Thank you for the advice, I have heard varying opinions on this. I love my clam, it is the coolest thing in my tank! :D :idea:

Back
Top Bottom