Clam Posistioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrdodge1283

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have Blue Max/Croc for 1week now and has substrate rock chunk attached to basil opening or very close by. Appears very healthy and full under 175w 10k halide in 20g Nano with 4" of sand bed. He/she is on its side right now and that way for a week, (it must like it too?) OR should it go more tilted up?

Can you post a pic? My Crocea won't survive living on the sand and did horible until I found this out and gave it a nice perch on the rocks where it could attach itself fully. I really do not think they are supposed to lay on their sides, all the ones I have ever seen face up to get the maximum amount of light possible.

IMO they should be oriented upwards. Most references I've read have stated if they fall over to place them face up immediately ;)

Yup, they starve if not facing upwards.

I third that. if the clam's mantel is not facing the light, it will starve. My kept falling over because the sand was shifting in the current. I found him a nice spot on the rocks and he is "happy as a clam."

Some clams including Crocea need to be on rock not sand. They have a special chemical that they secrete that will eat into the rock and allow them to fully attach. This also brings up the point, where ever you put it, you had better like it because once it attaches, it is very difficult to move without harming or killing the clam.

Back
Top Bottom