Clam possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rthoman

Aquarium Advice Activist
4 x 65w pc lighting
55 gallon tank...

anytype of clam possible? I know some won't live.

I don't know jack about clams, but I can assure you that the people on this forum will tell you that you shouldn't be keeping clams with that much lighting. I say this from experience, cuz I've asked similar questions. :wink:

I figured that...but there was a lfs that had a huge maxima or something in a 700 gal tank with only 2 watts to the gallon VHO's. People always said that it wouldn't live but it did for years and was the biggest one I have ever seen.

Yeah, I've seen many similar things. I didn't say I agreed with what they would tell you, I just said that they'd tell you that, hehe. :wink:

I've done a few inadvisable things with my tank that have failed to come back and bite me in the butt for the last six months. Sometimes things work out better than you'd expect.

their are some clams that i read that will be ok under that lighting buttttt they dont look as cool as the maximas :-(

but there was a lfs that had a huge maxima or something in a 700 gal tank with only 2 watts to the gallon VHO's. People always said that it wouldn't live but it did for years and was the biggest one I have ever seen.

It was probably a gigas or a hipopus, they do not require nearly as much light as maximas and croceas. For your lights I think you could do a squamosa and maybe a derasa. Certainly a hipopus or a gigas, although the gigas will get to large for your tank. I wouldn't do a maxima or a crocea, unless it is placed high in the tank, and personally if I can't put the clam low enough to view it from above....I'll pass.

Back
Top Bottom