Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
clam purchase

i'm wondering how long one should wait before you add Tridacna clam(s) to your tank, my tank is 8 months old po4 is 0.00 nitrate nearly 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 ca 480 , 542 watt metal halide lighting 55g tank , also if i deside to get one should it be placed on the substract or on the lr

Old 05-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Get more advice before you move forward but, I think that would be a strong enough lighting for the clams and my friend and my LFS keeps their clams on the substrate. HTH

Old 05-29-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I say go for it. Placement will depend on species. Coreceas are common and and are rock dwellers. They should be placed on the rockwork with consideration given to allow them to open fully unobstructed. Other species like the maxima or derasa do best in the substrate.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

do clams have a foot that they anchor like a anemone?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes they do. Rock dwelling species will attach to the rockwork. For substrate species, a flat peice of rock should be burried in the substrate under them so they can attach to it.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks alot for the info, i'll do some more reading before i think about purchasing one though
Old 05-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I try to place mine on a small rock no matter what the species. In case I have to move the clam later, this makes it easier. That said, I have had marginal results with clams. I had a gigas in the sand that grew amazingly quick. While trying to clean the glass one day, I had to move it a bit. I discovered the foot had attached to the bottom glass. I damaged it too much ... Hence the rock placement.

I have a crocea now that I have on a small rock in the sand. I tried putting it up higher on the rock work but it kept jumping down

I love clams. Definately a must have if you have the right conditions.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

542 watt metal halide lighting which on 55 gallons translates to about 10 watts per gallon is overkill unless you are planning on keeping only SPS corals. While this much lighting might be ok for that instance it is way more than is needed for a clam and depending on where your clam came from (aqua cultured or wild caught) and the lighting it was under before you go t it, that intense and bright of lighting could be an issue.

I know with many LPS corals, Soft Corals, and some anemones that much light will severly stress them and often times they cannot adjust. For SPS corals on the other hand that should serve fine.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

total watts / gal would not be a good measure for this. I assume he has a 2x250 MH set up which would be a lot of light for a 55 gal but it has been done. I have a 2x250 on my 75 gal and I don't have any problems.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i actually have started adding corals and i already have a bta anemome under this lighting and its thriving and also its 2x 175 mh and 2x96 pc

Tags
clam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com