Clam Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My brother is breaking down his tank and putting the hobby on hold for a while, so I am the lucky recipient of a 4" Derasa Clam.

This provides me with a unique problem, the reason my brother is calling it quits is that he had a really nasty ich epidemic and it wiped out all his fish. He wants to give me the clam, and I'm willing to accept it (have all the right stuff to take care of one), but I'm not sure how to go about qt'ing this thing as I don't have a suitable light over my qt tank.

Are there any dips/treatments that I can use on the clam to ensure I don't get ich into my tank?

I dont know if there is any treatments or dips out there or not. I personally dont think you can treat it in a QT. Lowering the salinity or treating with copper will kill the clam. I have added a few clams in my tank over the years and to be honest I never QT`d them.

I was hoping you'd chime in Mike.

Here's another on the subject.....

I'm pretty sure Clams can't get ich, but can they be a carrier of ich?

That's what worries me. I know they can't get ich, but since I know ich was in the tank from where the clam came from, I want to make sure it doesn't make it to mine. I guess the only sure fire way is to QT the clam with proper lighting for 4-6 weeks with no fish to make sure any ich is dead.

i've never heard of anyone QTing an invert, they aren't really effected by many parasites or infections so i don't think they would carry the ich from his tank to yours but don't quote me on it as i am not really sure about it.

you coudl always keep it in its own tank for a little bit with a bit of rock and a light untill you can fully be sure that any ich parasite has died off

Back
Top Bottom