Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Clam question

I have been without power for 5 days now. The tanks are circulating water but I cannot run any lighting. I cannot remove the corals from the tank, but do you think if I put my clam in a shallow pan of water out in the sunshine it might keep it from dieing?

I think it may be a longshot, but if anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know. I won't be home until 5:30 tonight, but I might be able to get a couple hours of light on it before the rains come.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats a good question...I think it may be worth a shot at this point. The only possible issue I see would be the change in intensity and k between MH and direct sunlight (assuming you can put in an air stone or change the water in the pan periodically and watch the temp.). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, any idea of when you'll have power?

Old 09-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

2 concerns I see:
1. Temp (as MT79 mentioned)
2. Salinity. I think you'd need to have the container covered (with something transparent) so water isn't evaporating.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I may have missed something but wouldn't it be easier to rent a generator? Sorry if I'm being simplistic, I don't know the details of your situation.

It may be loud and ugly but heck, leave it in the garage or outside, somehow covered, and run an extension cord inside.
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by runway1
I may have missed something but wouldn't it be easier to rent a generator? Sorry if I'm being simplistic, I don't know the details of your situation.

It may be loud and ugly but heck, leave it in the garage or outside, somehow covered, and run an extension cord inside.
public service announcment.....

do not run a generator covered up....
do not run a generator in the garage or anywhere indoors (no matter how well it is ventilated)

From there, she is in Louisiana, there are no generators for rent, and probably very few to buy.
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

She has one circulating water in the tanks already. Not enought juice/gas to run lights too.

I think that idea would work if the Temps were good outside.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
generators do not run ac units, the heat from the lights would boil the tank contents.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I think it would be ok to put it outside, just make to put it in the largest bucket possible and keep up on top offs as often as you can. IMO it would have greater risk of dying w/o light vs. putting it outside.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
generators do not run ac units, the heat from the lights would boil the tank contents.
it depends on the a/c unit and generator..

i.e. 2.5 ton needs atleast a 7kw generator or there abouts.

there is one locally that i can get 15kw for 4g, but have to plumb the natural gas and get someone to wire it to the house.

if these darn hurricanes persist, might be something to look at...
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup ... I have an master electrician coming over this weekend to tell me the possibilities of that exact thing. I want a 15kw generator hooked directly to my house for emergency situations. It will cost a pretty penny to have done, but in the long run it could pay for itself.

I'm not sure about the clam thing, but I know many people are talking about these natural sunlight tanks ... putting your tank in a window that gets direct sunlight and the ones I have seen are thriving! I would imagine you'd be better off that way then with no lights at all!!

Good Luck and I hope your power comes back soon! I know how it is, last year when the hurricanes hit FL I was without power for 7 days THREE TIMES!!! Talk about IRRITATING. By the second night I was sleeping on the tile floor just to stay cool and the wifey was pregnant at the time so she stayed at her moms house!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com