Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Clam question

I have zero experience with clams. I would like to put one (small deresa perhaps 1" - 3") in my 29G. I understand lighting is important and I have that covered. Are there special feeding requirements? All params are 0 or near 0. Also keep in mind that I would like to add an anemone at some point. Will there be issues with the anemone and the clam?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

For that size most likely, but I wouldnt get a deresa for a 29g they grow up to 2 feet. For a smaller tank like that I would go with a Crocea. Anyway best way to feed is to cut the bottom off a soda bottle, place it around the clam and inject phytoplex ect... so it stay in a closed area with the clam. I have a Crocea clam and a anemone in my tank, used to have them in a 20g

125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
steve-s

Under 2" and they will need feeding, over 2" and they will generally be self sufficient with the occasional light phyto addition to the tank for that added "boost". If under 2", the best means of feeding them is via a bowl outside the tank. Add just enough phyto to the bowl to give it a weak jade color. Add the clam and after about ¬Ĺ hr or so the water should be clear for the most part. The bottle idea does work as well but you run the risk of clogging the clams gills if not extra careful. Aside from that, you do not introduce unneccessary nutrient to the tank with the bowl.

As for the anemone, be extra sure you run carbon in the filtration at all times. Clams are somewhat sensitive to toxins and anemones are among the worst. I would also suggest adding the anemone first. Once it's settled and established the clam placement will be easier and not subject to the wanderings of a new anemone.

"Ideally" though, anemones are not technically reef creatures. The best situation is one or the other, not both. Not being a perfect world though... 8)

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome, if I had to choose, I suppose it will be the clam. My past experience with anemones is not great. The feeding is good info, I thought they were pretty much photo feeders. I need to read more, but I will be looking into the crocea.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

they are pretty much photo once they grow. If you get a nice size one then you dont have to feed it
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com