Clam question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a crocea clam couple days ago. I poked a hole in the sand in 'tucked' it in as I have read they like to burrow. Yesterday I noticed that a large turbo had knocked the clam around. So, I simply reseated it. Today I come home and I see thats moved again. My question is this, could the clam be moving it self around? Does it go in search of a better spot like anemonies? Also, I hope the oval hole in its mantle belongs there or it may already be doomed..

Thanks!
-PC

I imagine they are like my scallop I used to have as it would actually flap (for lack of a better word) around and find their own spot. I believe you can hem them in with rock so they dont go far. Maybe someone with one will have better advice.

I believe that hole is how it breathes and feeds. There is an in and out siphon...if im right.

They will "swim" as melosu58 pointed out. They do that generally when they are not happy. I would recommend placing it on your rock structure since that is were they are naturally found. It would also benefit by getting more light as well this way- they require a LOT of light. MH is the recommended/preferred source. Placing it on a small piece of LR or a clam half-shell will give it something to attach it's byssal threads to, as well as allow you to move it if necessary. Once the byssal threads are attached the clam can't be removed.
FWIW I have mine on my sand bed, but it is attached to a clam half-shell that is buried. Be careful not to get sand in the inlet or outlet siphons. It can clog the gills of the clam.
Good luck :wink:

Will they start to bleach like a coral if the light isnt enough? I have 280w of MH/CF over the 29G tank. I've attached a couple photos to help describe the layout. It was in the center more with more light but its put its back to the shrooms...Maybe feels safer if there is such a thing for clams..

Thanks!

-PC

Attachments

• clam__medium__703.jpg
    clam__medium__703.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 25
  • clamtank__medium__443.jpg
    clamtank__medium__443.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 37
I heard that they can't be on their side and you should try to keep it upright. I don't know how much truth is behind it because I heard that from the lfs. I do it because it's better to be safe then sorry. However I agree to keep it up towards the top because they do like a lot of light. Good luck with it, it looks good!

This species is a natural rock dweller. Try to find a spot on your rockwork where it can attach and open without restriction.

Turns out they will attach themselves very quickly. So the lil guy is 'stuck' in the position in the photo. The lil freak attached itself to a piece of rock behind it so I don't dare pull on it for fear of injury. Anyone have any suggestions on convincing it to move? Maybe the anemone ice trick? If not, guess it will have to soak up the sun from its current locale.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom