clam soon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
i am thinking about picking up a clam of some sort tomorrow as my lfs is having a huge sale on everything that they have. somehting like 20% off all sw stock, equipment, and other specific deals for speices and stuff. i think its 1/2 off on all clams. anyways a ton of great deals. so im thinking about getting a crocea to replace my brain coral that isnt doing good anymore. looks like itll be gone soon. my tank is now six months old so i think that im ready, i have some liquid food in my fridge. opinions?

If you are losing a coral, I wouldn't suggest adding anything else. We need to find the problem, otherwise, I fear you may lose the clam and anything else you may add.
What lighting do you have?
Tank size?
Water parameters?
What other critters do you have?

If you are losing a coral, I wouldn't suggest adding anything else. We need to find the problem, otherwise, I fear you may lose the clam and anything else you may add.
What lighting do you have?
Tank size?
Water parameters?
What other critters do you have?
28 gal nanocube 150w mh lighting
paramaters have been fine, everything went downhill when i went upnorth for 2days. lost a fish, star and then my nitrates went through the roof and now the brain doesnt look good, this was last weekend. ive been doing as many water changes as possible but we havnt been abel to fighue out why it is dieing. theres a thread labaled "another loss ='[" that i made about it. everything was normal when i left. it all started when my cardinal died. nitrates went up killing the star and they went up more, the brain just never recoverd or at least hasnt yet.

also, since its such a good deal, if i cant put it in my main can i "hold" it in my 3 gal for a while?

to be honest.. if your having nitrate problems.. putting a clam in would be benificial... they eat the nitrates in the tank.

the nitrates are pretty much back to normal now (about 5ppm). i just want to know why my cardinal died because that is pretty much the reason that the tank had a mini crash.

also, could i put a clam in the 3 gal for good? just a question. and if i dont get the clam(or whatever i would be getting for the 28 im probably going to get it for the 3) i think im going to get something that could be in both tanks depending on how each is doing so if one tank is sick (known cause obiously as not to spread the sickness) i could put it in the other tank. so could i use the 3 gal as a holding tank fr the clam? also, how would a christmas tree worm rock be for the 3 gallon, i have the plankton...

Edit: yupp look in the saltwater sick fish and coral thread and look for "another loss ='["

You may be able to purchase the clam and have your LFS hold it for you for a little bit. At least that will give you a little time to make sure the tank is back to normal.

so overall, yay or nay on getting a clam tomoro and holding it in my 3 gal? otherwise ill just get a coral or a hard worm cuz thy got them for like 12 bucks so i think theyre sellin them at like 30 or sumthin.

well i just got back from the lfs and what deals! even better than i thought. and it really seems like the brain is getting better, coloration is comming back, its opeing up a little more, i think that it might actually make it, meanwhile im going to start drip acclimating the clam to the 28 and hard worm to the 3. and all of the other corals look almost better than ever. its been a complete turn around. also, are there any creatures that i should be aware of that could harm my clam? should i send back my dwarf blue tip hermits or halloween hermit? also im seeing a ton more coraline now! thanks!

Clams require high light and good flow. If the clam is smaller then 4" you will have to feed zooplankton to support it which is a dangerous thing for such a small tank. I know that seeing a good deal is hard to pass up but I think considering your recent issues it may be best to wait on the clam. They require very stable conditions and if you are still having issues then it's better to wait.

first off i already got it, 2nd off parameters have been stable for around a week and 1/2 now. things are getting better. 3rd off, it's 3 1/2 inches so ill plan on removing it to feed it every other day. and since i have to leave for 2-3 hours i am just going to leave it on a very slow drip until i get back home. and if you think that i still shouldnt put it in then do you think i should hold it in the 3 gallon? and when i say slow drip i mean about 4 drips per 1o seconds. the hard worm has been acclimated but i cant find a good spot for it yet so i think i might try when i get back and if i cant ill just acclimate it to the main. its a crocea clam if that helps for anything. im planning on getting another in a month or so, maybe a maxama or derersa or sumthin, maybe nex time ill get it form clamsdirect.com heard that they were good.
Thanks! be back in 2-3 hours!

back and it looks like my plan didnt work as usual, the drip stopped sometime and only got a little acclimated so i started a new one with a new hose. the brain now looks even better!

it's 3 1/2 inches so ill plan on removing it to feed it every other day

I'm fairly clueless when it comes to clams but i have heard that some of them will permanently attach them selves to rock and such. Not sure which kind it was that did that but it might be something to look into.

I'm fairly clueless when it comes to clams but i have heard that some of them will permanently attach them selves to rock and such. Not sure which kind it was that did that but it might be something to look into.

they attach where you put them pretty much, im putting mine in the sand so it will attach to a few clumps of sand.

Back
Top Bottom