Clam Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a spare 29 bowfront and a little brother that wants to set up a tank at his house with the emphasis being on clams. I have not had any experience with clams other than a hippomus *sp* clam that I kept a few years ago. I am planning on giving him some LR, tank, skimmer, and a set of lights that we are going to have retro fitted to hold 2 vho's. Any pointers on what I can do to insure that we dont end up with dead clams!

VHO may not be the best option for a clam only tank. I suggest going with MH as it has superior penetrating power. This will allow you to keep pretty much any species you like and give you more flexibility in clam placement throughout the tank.

MH lights are definitley they best way to go with clams, and if you are wanting a clam only tank, I would definitly suggest MH lights.

Calcium levels will also be important to maintain, so dosing will be neccesary.

Multiple clams in a 29 huh. Be prepared to upgrade or swap out. Clams get big and the grow faster than you think, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom