Clamming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinph

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im looking at getting a nice looking clam preferably blue and i have a coral tank and all coral is fine, but i was wondering if there is anything special i need to worry about with clams. thanks:vamp:

If they are real small (<2-3 in.) they will probably need supplemental feeding. A variety of filter feeding foods will do best. Be real sure nothing in your tank will nip at a clam either. Clam mantels seem to be a delectable treat for a lot of fish and inverts.

i think that is more an "old wives tale" than fact. i've kept many small clams and have seen increases in growth before i sold them. what corals have you kept successfully austin?

I`ve done squamosa and derasa but it looks like you have higher lighting than me so you could probably do the high light clams with the MH`s.

Croceas and Maximas are the ones you typically see with the really bright and intricate blue colorings. Croceas are the smaller of the two, and requires more light. But I don't think you'll have an issue with a 250w MH.

Yes lighting in my tank is very sufficant im reminded of it everother day when i have to clean off the alge that has regrown. and i am Horrible with names of coral i have to look them up i have a large piece of Xenia that has even expanded, galaxea coral, some kind of leather, and two others that i cant remember or find. and i like the big ones so i think i would be going with a Maxima.

So to sum up My lighting is fine, and i may need to supplment its diet with filter food, and watch for agressive fish.

They are filter feeders as well, they benefit from the little extra food that they get along with the light.

They are great for processing nitrates too.

Back
Top Bottom