clams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simon sid james

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all,i have just added a clam to my tank and was just wondering if any1 had any tips on where to place it,should it be in strong water movement?any tips will be appreciated.

I have mine in a medium current and on the bottom.... do I dare say it?? They are as happy...... I cant it just to corney.....LOL

should it be in strong water movement?

No.

hi all,i have just added a clam to my tank and was just wondering if any1 had any tips on where to place it

I like to put them on the bottom, but how to do that will depend on what kind of clam it is. How much and what type of light you have on what size tank.

150watt halides,as for the species im not entirly sure,a customer brought it into the shop i work at cos he was taking his tank down.its brownish in colour with yellow flecks,it hasnt opend fully yet but looks like it could be blue in the middle.hope that helps.

I am assuming the 150s are HQIs. Personally I would put it higher up in the tank, if you try it on the bottom put it directly under one of the halides. As for the species, it is impossible to tell by color, need to get a look at it's shell and the underside.

Sounds like either a Derasa or A Squamosa.. Most likely a Derasa

James

I have three clams, It would be very helpful if someone could list the best placement..... med, strong, or intense light for each of the 4 or 5 most common. An :roll: any possibilities of that?? Pretty please

liveaquaria.com lists conditions for your livestock...you'll just have to select which clams you have...the tridacna are known as "giant clams" and I believe they are the common large colorful ones. Go to http://www.liveaquaria.com then under the menus select Inverts > Tridacna Clams > whichever clam(s) you have, and read the pages. Some like the substrate, some will attach to the reef. For example, the maxima (tridacna maxima) clam will attach to either, so you'll just want it where the light is "high" and the current is "low to medium." That's all I know to tell ya, someone correct me if I am wrong, and reefobsessed, I'd wait for a second opinion. ;) HTH!

Croceas need the most intense light, then maximas, then derasas, then squamosas and lastly gigas.

If you place the clam on the bottom for best viewing....it should be directly under the halide, personally I would put the clam about 18-12" from the surface of the water on a flat or slightly concave rock in an are of low waterflow close to direct center of the bulb.

unfortunatly im very limited for space in my aquarium,the only place i have really is a little area on the substrate which luckily is pretty much directly under the halide.the water depth is actually only 18 inches deep,the clam has opened up and seems to be happy so ill just have to see how he does,what are the tell tale signs that a clam is not happy?

what are the tell tale signs that a clam is not happy?

If it's jusn not happy...it will move, trying to find a spot that it does like. If it is unhealthy or in bad shape, unfortunately the first symptom tends to be an empty clam shell.

Rule of thumb, we always place our T.Squamosa and T. Derasa on the substrate and the T. Maxima and T, Croceas in the rock for for better lighting. The more intense lighting the best for the long haul :)

Back
Top Bottom