Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Good on you man. Researching beforehand is commendable (and rare). ARC is also a great source of info and deals. If you can ignore the bickering....
That's the one. LOL Been stopping in for a few months but just recently decided I would join as a paid member. I have seen some of the bickering but what has really caught my attention is how many people step up when someone is in need. Saw two different people with car trouble last week and members from all over Atlanta jumped in and gave help, tools and so forth. You don't see that very often so I want to be a part of a group like that.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
That's the one. LOL Been stopping in for a few months but just recently decided I would join as a paid member. I have seen some of the bickering but what has really caught my attention is how many people step up when someone is in need. Saw two different people with car trouble last week and members from all over Atlanta jumped in and gave help, tools and so forth. You don't see that very often so I want to be a part of a group like that.

Oh yea. Don't get me wrong, the vocal minority has nothing on the bulk of the members there. I've seen a lot of really selfless folks helping others and have been fortunate enough to both benefit from emergency help and deliver it. Great group of folks and there are some that are UBER knowledgable.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The scallop is a fitter feed, only. The clams can make some food from their algae in their mantles, but need food to grow. Lots of filter feed clam foods on the market. Moderate light with good flow, high calcium, reef perfect water conditions and you are good to go. Some dwarf angels like to peck on the clam mantles. That why I don't have clams. Many species are aqua cultured.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great info Greg. I appreciate it. I don't have any angels (dwarf or otherwise) so that shouldn't be a problem. As far as when I upgrade, if it is a choice between a clam and an angle, I will take the clam. LOL

HN1, are you going to the meeting on Tuesday? I would like to make it just to meet a few people and also so what it is all about. Don't have anything to trad in the frag swap but still would be fun to attend. As soon as I switch computers I will post a couple pics of todays pickups at SEA Atlanta's grand opening.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clams need really high lighting, about the same level as sps corals I think.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Decided to try a hard coral to see if I could keep it alive. This was only $10 before the grand opening discount and the ARC discount. Also picked up another coral (don't remember the name) and a Diamond Goby (last fish for this tank)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first one is an orange ricordea mushroom, and ricordeas are my favorite coral.

Second one could be a montipora cap.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The montipora requires similar lighting and water quality as clams do. If it grows and other SPS corals are growing, clams sound like a go.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now that is good news Greg. I figured for $10 (with two discounts on top of that) it would be a good peice to experiment with. Greenturtale, thanks for the ID. You hit it on the head. Once I read you post I remembered him telling me that.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would say you have enough light for a clam. clams will use calcium like it's going out of style though. better think about how you will be supplementing calcium and alk if you head that way.

Tags
clam, clams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com