Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks X. Those are the things I wanted to find out about before I picked one up. A clam is deffinately on the list but for now, I think it is several months down the road. Now that I have all the fish I am going to have in this tank, and I have the light I will be living with, I am going to start working on some more corals. I am finding that the two biggest challenges so far with corals is finding the right spot for them and keeping them from getting knocked around. LOL

Of the original 4 frags, I have final locations set for three of them and I think I have found the final location for the hammer. Today, I will epoxy at least the three and maybe the hammer as well.

One question though on the Candy Cane. About a month ago I broke the main stock while trying to get it secured in the rock. Up until recently it didn't look well but now it is doing better. Can I expoxy right to the stock since it isn't attached to a frag plug?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes. the skeleton is just calcium.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

The day I got my candy cane, it had broken in to two in the bag. Then I accidentally dropped one on the floor. Let's just say I fragged mine they didn't look very good immediately but are fine after about 2 weeks. They are even splitting. And I used epoxy on the stalk.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You can use epoxy or gelled super glue, both work fine, just don't get anything on the tissues.
Look into how sea life lays down calcium, it is really interesting how it actually happens.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i would say you have enough light for a clam. clams will use calcium like it's going out of style though. better think about how you will be supplementing calcium and alk if you head that way.
Mr_X, do you think clams need calcium levels above 400? Last one I tried grew fine, but my dwarf angles were relentless in picking on it, so I gave it away afraid they would eventually kill it.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I'm not Mr X, but anyway, keeping calcium in the 380-420 range is all you need for anything. Keeping it any high doesn't improve growth rates, but having it higher can lead to a precipitation event (snow storm).
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
I'm not Mr X, but
No you are not. But the truth is, I have come to trust both of you equally. I feel double confident when the two of you agree.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #28
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle View Post
Clams need really high lighting, about the same level as sps corals I think.
True for some clams. The Squamosa and derasa need only moderate lighting. I had my squamosa for 4 yrs and have had the derasa about a yr now. I only use VHO lighting.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58

True for some clams. The Squamosa and derasa need only moderate lighting. I had my squamosa for 4 yrs and have had the derasa about a yr now. I only use VHO lighting.
Oh the clam that I know most about is Maxima
Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

So with a 6 lamp T5HO I should have the lighting nailed right? That is as long as the lamps are kept in good shape.

Tags
clam, clams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com