Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clams

I have a 45 gal tank running a canister filter and a 6-lamp 4' T5HO 54W fixture. Being an idiot, I did not listen when the lfs recommended I drill the tank and go with a sump/refuge when I converted from FW back in July. So far, parameters have been extremely stable and right on the money, which I have been very happy about. I have a pair of Clowns, 3 Blue/Green Chromis, a 6 Line Wrasse a Kole Yellow Eye Tang and a Fire Shrimp. Tomorrow I plan on adding my last fish, which will be a Diamond Watchman Goby. For corals, I have 4 frags. A Daisy Polyp, a 3 head Candy Cane, a Zoa and a small Hammer.

Now for the question. At some point, I will have a clam. I love the things. I have not seen one yet that I didn't love. Tell me why I am stupid to try clams at this point. I know there is a very good reason but I need you to tell me why I shouldn't waste that kind of money and kill such a beautiful creature. I know nothing about the care other than they sit on the sand bed and you better have good lighting.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see why a clam wouldn't work. Do you know how much phosphate you have?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kole Tangs need 75+ gallons FYI.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Max size of clam vs tank size to start along with the fact that they do have quite specific needs that will require research to be prepared for. I'd recommend holding off, saving up, researching and then deciding on what type you want based on the tank and system you have available for it. JMHO
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Phosphate has been consistantly 0.
Greenturtle, yes, I did a lot of hard thinking before I got him. I got a small one and I know that within a year or two I will need to upgrade the tank or find him a new home. So far, he is thriving. But, your concern is appreciated and noted. Came real close to buying a 125 just two days ago. Only thing that stoped me was the co-pay for the oral surgery my 14 year old daughter had to have yesterday. Man, three sets of braces almost complete. Now I just have to worry about three college educations and three weddings to pay for. I love "Daddy's Little Girls" but man, three girls??????
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks HN1. Hard to argue with a picture of JC. My wife just walked by and wanted to know "Who are you talking too? Do I need to be geleous". LOL I explained that I am trying to learn what not to do so we don't go through the heartache of buying something only to see it die. She said she saw a scalp at one of the lfs and wanted to know why we can't have one. Without knowing anything about them, my first guess would be they need colder water but I would love to hear a little about them.

Again, thanks guys, your advice is greatly apprciated.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

At least you are looking to upgrade. I have a small Kole Tang in a 10 gallon currently, but he is in QT for a 90 gallon

I would recommend looking up the care of Maxima or Deresa Clams first, since they are the easiest and hardiest, I have heard.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle View Post
At least you are looking to upgrade.
Yup. I have joined a local reef club and I see where almost daily there are postings trying to sell tanks and equipment at very good prices. I have made up my mind that I will be upgrading but it is just a matter of when.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good on you man. Researching beforehand is commendable (and rare). ARC is also a great source of info and deals. If you can ignore the bickering....
Old 10-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The thing that has killed my clams in the past is a snail or hermit knocking it over before it settles in. If you can keep it safe for the first few days, it will have a great start. Like maybe pvc around it to start.

Your local fish club is arc? So is mine. I had to look where you were before I saw your atlanta reef club. I'm austin reef club.

Tags
clam, clams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com