Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering how quickly the T. maxima and T. crocea clams grow?

I have a 10G nano and would love one (with adequate lighting, of course), but of course space is limited, so if I purchase a small one (2-3") I wouldn't exactly want it to get all that much bigger in a year or two.

Any advice? :)

I think several inches a year would be about average. None are slow growers IMO/IME, but the bigger species, ie Derasa, Gigas, grow fastest. I think you'll be looking for a new home for a Crocea or Maxima in a year and a half- two years w/ a 10 gal.

Small (< 2.5" - 3") clams need supplemental feedings. Adding phyto to a nano could cause water problems quickly.

I got a small T. crocea (about 2") last year and it's grown somewhat though not doubled in size. It's probably about 3" now and no longer requires supplemental feedings. I just added a 2nd clam (about 3") on the other side of the tank.

Attachments

• img_2966r_155.jpg
    img_2966r_155.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 52
  • img_2944r_608.jpg
    img_2944r_608.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 56
Or if you dont have the lighting for those higher light clams why not go with the squamosa clam. How much lighting do you have? I have a little over 5 wpg and here is my clam.

Attachments

• 100_0965_153.jpg
    100_0965_153.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 44
Small (< 2.5" - 3") clams need supplemental feedings. Adding phyto to a nano could cause water problems quickly.
This is a VERY good point. I would look for a clam in the 4inch range so you can avoid too many phyto feedings. SO will still be in order, but no near to the extent of a smaller animal.

Thanks for the help! I'm going to add a few soft corals in a few months, and I was intending feeding a bit of DT's live phytoplankton every 3 days.

Would you recommend against this in the 10G then?

I love the blue ones, they're amazing. They open and close too, don't they?

How much lighting would I need for one?

If you can maintain water parameters then feeding DT's is fine. Do you have a skimmer on the nano? Are you prepared to do a PWC after each feeding?

My two clams do open and close every time a fish gets too close or I get my hand too close to it, like when I am righting it after a snail knocks it on it's side.

I don't have a skimmer, and I do a 25% PWC every 2 weeks. Anything more would be unmanageable for me.

Maybe the softies I'm looking at (leather/xenia/polyps etc.) don't even need DT's?

Back
Top Bottom