Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Clams and LR

I got another question. I got some LR and apparently it had a bunch of clams attached. At first I thought it was cool but not no more.

I had the rock curing in a 18 gal container. The rock smelled real good when I took it out of the box but got worse as the night progressed. I did a water change the next day since the water was cloudy and ammonia was real high ... and it stunk. The next day(today) I get a call from the wife and say the house stinks real bad

Some of the clams have fell off the rock and are dead. So I guess that it the smell problem. There are a few left on the rock and they dont come off to well. They leave some kind of piece on the rock after they fall off too. The one I put in my tank yesterday was doing ok but now it is stuck open and will not shut so I guess it is dead.

Do I have to wait for the clam to release to remove it from the rock? What is the piece that they leave behind and can you remove it after the clam is gone? The one that is dead in the main tank ... will the crabs eat it or should I remove it. All the cool plants and stuff are mounted on the shells too

Thanks

Old 11-07-2003, 09:42 PM   #2
cj10488

Crabs will definetly eat it if left in the tank however leaving it in the tank is kind of up to you.. As in how long has your tank been setup?? Do you think it could handle a small spike without makeing it noticable on test results or fish??? If you feel comfortable leave it in the tank and watch it to make sure the crabs are going to eat it.. If they don't start eating it within a day remove it.. I just lost a Derasa clam and had no Idea what to do with it so I placed it in my 29gal where I have been placing numerous hitchhikers into it.. The clam is just about gone and its been 3 days... Most expensive meal they will ever get

HTH,
James
Old 11-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tank has been up for about a month. I have a CBS, snails, crabs, 2 damsels and a clown fish in the tank. Everything seems fine right now.

Any idea on the tab like thing they leave on the rock. I first though it was some kind of sponge or something but when the clams opened up the left this tab on the rock.

Also, is there a way I can keep the plant on the clam that died in my tank? See pic. This is kind of cool
Old 11-07-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
cj10488

That looks like a Sea Fan to me.. I would check with others but you might be able to just cut it off and glue it to a piece of rock.. But i'd wait and check with others.. As for the tab the clam leaves behind I have no Idea..

HTH,
James
Old 11-08-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Can anyone else confirm the the sea fan and how I can remove it? The clam has been open at least a day and I have seen a crab or 2 go over but there is still a lot of meat in there.

I don't want to cause an ammonia spike. Could a clam like this cause a spike high enough to kill fish?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2003, 02:34 PM   #6
cj10488

Quote:
Could a clam like this cause a spike high enough to kill fish?
IMO I dont think so but I can't say for certain.. But who knows.. Stranger things happen..

James

Tags
clam, clams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com