Clams-Barnacles eaten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm finding that the clams and barnacles on my LR are being opened and eaten. Could the culprits be the various crabs that came w/ the rock?

Is this a bad sign and if it is the crabs, should I try to get them out of my tank?

Could be a crab but more likely you have a predatory snail lurking about. After lights out, get the red flashlight and go night diving. It will be the easiest way to find whatever is the cause. I would also suggest getting the crabs ID'd or trap and remove them if you cannot...

Cheers
Steve

You guys could it be that the clams are "gaping" because they are not getting enough filter food and the crabs are just cleaning up?

Just wondering, advantageous crabbies seem like they wouldnt be strong enough to open a healthy clam.

So in other words, get whatever is doing this out? I have seen a few snails inside the clams.

This is rock that has only been in the tank a couple of weeks

Sorry for the title, I should have known better.

Predatory hitchikers are common with LR and should be identified and/or removed as soon as possible if harmful. Being at the "scene of the crime" also does not indicate the culprit. Many types of reef safe animals will just be cleaning up the aftermath....

Identification is the first step, then if needed remove any that may be an issue...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom