Clams condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I have been thinking about getting a clam so I have been doing a lot of reading. My lfs has this squamosa for $35.00 I think it looks good but would like some input on what you guys think they have had it for about 5 weeks here are a few picturesImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389051317.322828.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389051333.167527.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389051347.785456.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389051377.414403.jpg

It looks pretty good to me. Those are fast growers. It will probably pick up a few inches in a year. Don't forget to check the underside of the clam for small snails with long, pointed shells. They are clam predators.

Mrx do you have any clams also I was reading where I should put it on the sand bed and slowly move it up closer to the light does that sound right or should I just set him in the sand and keep an eye on him I think I'm gonna stop tomorrow and check him out like you said and if all checks out get him

Hardy guys I have two on my sand bed for over a year. They prefer the sand.

Clams require intense lighting. They should be kept in the sandbed IMO, with small pieces of rock under the sand for smaller clams to attach their foot to so you don't have issues with them being on the glass later on.

Cool thank you. What kind do you have and do you target feed them or just let them alone

You don't need to feed them. They will filter feed out of the water column, but mostly live off of the lighting. Think about them as a SPS coral with a shell if it helps you understand their needs.

The squamosa really only needs moderate lighting. I had one for 4 years and as Doug said theyget quite large.

Wow looks cool and big you must be doing something right awesome

Back
Top Bottom