Clams for n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any suggestions for reasonably priced clams that would work well for a new clam keeper? I have T5HO rolling on the tank, so not sure if that is sufficient?

Oddly, last night while googling this very topic I spotted what looked like a seafood clam (like, a steamer) - I thought I had spied it earlier in the week tucked into a rock, but last night it was laying in my sand bed with its shell open :)

I'm assuming you're talking about giant clams or tridachnids. I have had good success with an ORA deresa clam I picked up from saltwaterfish.com. Now, it is under 150w metal halide and a 24" t5ho, but seems to be doing very well. Deresas aren't the brightest colored or most gaudy, but from what I've gathered seem to be one of the hardiest species. They need low nitrates and bright light, and as long as no one picks at them, they do pretty well. Saltwaterfish.com puts them on sale pretty frequently and often offers free shipping when you buy an item off a "free shipping" list and my clam was on such a list when I got it.

When new:

Now:

Last edited:
Thanks guys - I'll start reading up...but basically as long as I make sure he plants himself up high in the tank, the T5 oughta be sufficient?
Thanks,

Because of the VHO lighting I have I have to have moderate light clams. I had for many years a Squamosa clam which was as big as a football

009.jpg

It recently died and now I have a derasa clam.

004.jpg

I would love to get a squamosa clam, but I don't think my tank is old enough yet. :( I'd be too nervous

How old are we talking?

About 6 months. From what I hear in this hobby...that's nothing. I had an orange star for about 4 weeks and it didn't fair so well. He dropped a leg and didn't look so good. Then he disappeared.....I felt bad about it. I was thinking maybe that's why he didn't make it bc of the young tank age.

I really wish that the lfs would have warned me if that was the case. I of course have no way of knowing for sure.

Remember when keeping clam you have to keep a look on your calcium levels, they will drop your calcium levels very fast

Tomchong22 said:
Remember when keeping clam you have to keep a look on your calcium levels, they will drop your calcium levels very fast

I check mine every day. What should it be at?

Mine is usually around 420. Do you need to dose daily with clams?

420 is fine. Ehh I have never housed a clam so I really don't know the exact times per week, i think it really has to do with the clam it's self. I would say it is kind of a trial and see type of thing. Natural see water has a calcium at 400 and magnesium around 1,270. If you do add calcium you will have to keep a look out for alk and magnesium because it will mess with them. And once your magnesium drops it will take for ever to bring back up.

Back
Top Bottom