Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

As long as the clam likes it up in the rock. I tried this with my crocea and it kept jumping off. I now have it on a clam shell that I buried in the sand.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

The more and more I read about Cleaner Shrimps, the more and more I'm thinking of getting rid of him!!! He is really becoming a nuisance in my tank lately .... the other day he was just hanging on my new leather and it shriveld up and never opened back up the whole day!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
The more and more I read about Cleaner Shrimps, the more and more I'm thinking of getting rid of him!!! He is really becoming a nuisance in my tank lately .... the other day he was just hanging on my new leather and it shriveld up and never opened back up the whole day!!
:/ My first attempt at clam (3in maxima) was ended by my cleaner shrimp. The clam was dead the 1st night b/c the shrimp kept picking at the flesh everytime the clam opened.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The more and more I read about Cleaner Shrimps, the more and more I'm thinking of getting rid of him!!!
Careful, remember that cleaner shrimp are not really preditors, they are scavengers. They are unlikely to go after a healthy clam, however, if the clam appears sick or diseased the cleaners will make short work of it. That is why they are part of the clean up crew
Old 07-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep in mind clams can take up to or over 6 months to start showing signs of stress. All the literature I've read says MH only for Crocea's-they are the most light demanding of all the Tridacnid clams. I know from experience that Crocea's are light hogs. Mine was happiest 4" below the surface right under a 250w MH! Squamosa, Derasa, Hippo's are all much better suited for life under fluorescent lighting. Remember success is measured in years not months.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:38 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Remember success is measured in years not months.
That is very true!

Tags
clam, clams, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com