Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Squamosas are less light needy. Daniel- which fixture did you keep this clam under? 4 x 54 watt, or 4 x 24 watt?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think your lighting wouldn't be strong enough... Maybe in a 16" high tank but not a 24" or even 21".

However, I can say the most important thing is water quality if you do chance it. For example, I grow few kinda of SPS mid level in my 75 with 4bulb T5 and have also had frags of Monti d. grow on my sand with pretty much the same color as higher up frags.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Squamosas are less light needy. Daniel- which fixture did you keep this clam under? 4 x 54 watt, or 4 x 24 watt?
True I had a 4/54 watt t5, 4/24 in a sixty is weak. Save up some money $150 and buy a led setup and you will be golden!!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

This may be a dumb comment, but I always thought that the wattages specified on t5 bulbs were dependent on the length of the tank. For example, my tank is only 24" wide, so wouldn't 4x24w bulbs put out similar PAR per square inch to 4x48w bulbs over a 48"-long tank? Or do 4x48w bulbs put out twice as much PAR than 4x24w bulbs over every inch of the tank? In that case, would I be able to get stronger bulbs (say 48w) for my 24" fixture (I've never seen a 24" t5 bulb with higher than 24w)?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Their par ratings are relative to how tall a tank is, not its overall volume. For example, if you took a 4x48w ati bulb setup and a 4x24w ati bulb setup, set them up on the same tank, the 48w unit will have considerably higher par readings throughout the tank. I know that the majority of hobbyists dont have access to a par meter, but actual par readins in your tank would go a very long way in telling you what you can and cant keep. If you dont want to deal with the hassle, theres always the led route (you dont have to spend a ton of money to get the power needed . )
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Their par ratings are relative to how tall a tank is, not its overall volume. For example, if you took a 4x48w ati bulb setup and a 4x24w ati bulb setup, set them up on the same tank, the 48w unit will have considerably higher par readings throughout the tank. I know that the majority of hobbyists dont have access to a par meter, but actual par readins in your tank would go a very long way in telling you what you can and cant keep. If you dont want to deal with the hassle, theres always the led route (you dont have to spend a ton of money to get the power needed . )
+1 agree
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Definitely wish I knew about the dimmable LEDs when I first started the hobby six months ago, but I just bought new bulbs a few weeks ago and my wife would kill me if I upgraded lights so soon! Also, I read somewhere that colors don't pop as much under LEDs as compared to t5s, which is why I'm considering the t5/led combo for the PAR and florescence.

Also, I understand the relationship between PAR and depth, but my question has to do more with whether a 48" 48w bulb has the same PAR per inch (lengthwise) as a 24" 24w bulb, or whether the 48w has double as much over every inch of the bulb. Does that make sense?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With t5s you can add more color with the bulbs to make the color show up more on the corals. That is why I did the Sol ATI combo but the sol's on only the colors are sweet the t5s help back up the LEDs color in my tank.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ants86 View Post
Definitely wish I knew about the dimmable LEDs when I first started the hobby six months ago, but I just bought new bulbs a few weeks ago and my wife would kill me if I upgraded lights so soon! Also, I read somewhere that colors don't pop as much under LEDs as compared to t5s, which is why I'm considering the t5/led combo for the PAR and florescence.

Also, I understand the relationship between PAR and depth, but my question has to do more with whether a 48" 48w bulb has the same PAR per inch (lengthwise) as a 24" 24w bulb, or whether the 48w has double as much over every inch of the bulb. Does that make sense?
On the par ? No the 24 will not give you the same par as a 48w.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Id imagine that they have similar par ratings PER INCH. If the 48" had double the PAR ratings per inch, that would make it roughly 4x more powerful than the 24" version, which i dont believe it is. Even moreso, you are looking at 1w/ inch of tube, so that right there leads me to believe they are similar per INCH.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clam, clams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com