Clams under t5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ants86

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know this topic has been discussed countless times, but I couldn't find an answer on my specific situation: can I keep clams under 4x24W T5s, and if so, which ones? I have a 60g cube that is 24'' deep, and would like to keep the clam on the sand bed if possible. I'm using all ATI bulbs. Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm not that familiar with t5 lighting as i've not used one but pretty sure you are going to need more than that. Like 6 bulb t5 fixture.

I'm not that familiar with t5 lighting as i've not used one but pretty sure you are going to need more than that. Like 6 bulb t5 fixture.

I use t5 mix with led. T5s 4x54w they are strong but you will need more power than what you have now.

Although ATI are supposed to be a quality bulb, I don't think it will suffice. I have a 4 bulb light on my 110gal and tho I CAN grow SPS (Monti) very close to the surface, even my LPS corals have to be in the upper half of the tank. I can only grow Palys and 'shrooms in the lower half. A clam would be out of the question.

I have seen it dine with T5s, especially with those ATI bulbs. There is a clam does it a bit easier to care for, but I can't remember the name. I am sure someone here will remember it.

Thanks for the responses. It is as I feared. Might be time to turn my t5 fixture into a DIY t5/led combo...

I have seen it dine with T5s, especially with those ATI bulbs. There is a clam does it a bit easier to care for, but I can't remember the name. I am sure someone here will remember it.
I believe the clams with the lowest (comparatively) light requirements are derasas. Is that what you're referring to?

Thanks for the responses. It is as I feared. Might be time to turn my t5 fixture into a DIY t5/led combo...

I believe the clams with the lowest (comparatively) light requirements are derasas. Is that what you're referring to?

You're going to need to up the wattage on your bulbs as well. I believe this would mean a new fixture or at least a different ballast. Depending on cost it may be better to just upgrade.

Dersasa clam will be alright, I have a teardrop maxima that did well for 8months under 4 t5 before I switch to LEDs. His mantle is dark so he could absorb more light. Here's clammy

Attachments

• image-1979355887.jpg
    image-1979355887.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 104
Squamosas are less light needy. Daniel- which fixture did you keep this clam under? 4 x 54 watt, or 4 x 24 watt?

I think your lighting wouldn't be strong enough... Maybe in a 16" high tank but not a 24" or even 21".

However, I can say the most important thing is water quality if you do chance it. For example, I grow few kinda of SPS mid level in my 75 with 4bulb T5 and have also had frags of Monti d. grow on my sand with pretty much the same color as higher up frags.

Squamosas are less light needy. Daniel- which fixture did you keep this clam under? 4 x 54 watt, or 4 x 24 watt?

True I had a 4/54 watt t5, 4/24 in a sixty is weak. Save up some money $150 and buy a led setup and you will be golden!!

This may be a dumb comment, but I always thought that the wattages specified on t5 bulbs were dependent on the length of the tank. For example, my tank is only 24" wide, so wouldn't 4x24w bulbs put out similar PAR per square inch to 4x48w bulbs over a 48"-long tank? Or do 4x48w bulbs put out twice as much PAR than 4x24w bulbs over every inch of the tank? In that case, would I be able to get stronger bulbs (say 48w) for my 24" fixture (I've never seen a 24" t5 bulb with higher than 24w)?

Their par ratings are relative to how tall a tank is, not its overall volume. For example, if you took a 4x48w ati bulb setup and a 4x24w ati bulb setup, set them up on the same tank, the 48w unit will have considerably higher par readings throughout the tank. I know that the majority of hobbyists dont have access to a par meter, but actual par readins in your tank would go a very long way in telling you what you can and cant keep. If you dont want to deal with the hassle, theres always the led route (you dont have to spend a ton of money to get the power needed ;). )

Their par ratings are relative to how tall a tank is, not its overall volume. For example, if you took a 4x48w ati bulb setup and a 4x24w ati bulb setup, set them up on the same tank, the 48w unit will have considerably higher par readings throughout the tank. I know that the majority of hobbyists dont have access to a par meter, but actual par readins in your tank would go a very long way in telling you what you can and cant keep. If you dont want to deal with the hassle, theres always the led route (you dont have to spend a ton of money to get the power needed ;). )

+1 agree

Definitely wish I knew about the dimmable LEDs when I first started the hobby six months ago, but I just bought new bulbs a few weeks ago and my wife would kill me if I upgraded lights so soon! Also, I read somewhere that colors don't pop as much under LEDs as compared to t5s, which is why I'm considering the t5/led combo for the PAR and florescence.

Also, I understand the relationship between PAR and depth, but my question has to do more with whether a 48" 48w bulb has the same PAR per inch (lengthwise) as a 24" 24w bulb, or whether the 48w has double as much over every inch of the bulb. Does that make sense?

With t5s you can add more color with the bulbs to make the color show up more on the corals. That is why I did the Sol ATI combo but the sol's on only the colors are sweet the t5s help back up the LEDs color in my tank.

Definitely wish I knew about the dimmable LEDs when I first started the hobby six months ago, but I just bought new bulbs a few weeks ago and my wife would kill me if I upgraded lights so soon! Also, I read somewhere that colors don't pop as much under LEDs as compared to t5s, which is why I'm considering the t5/led combo for the PAR and florescence.

Also, I understand the relationship between PAR and depth, but my question has to do more with whether a 48" 48w bulb has the same PAR per inch (lengthwise) as a 24" 24w bulb, or whether the 48w has double as much over every inch of the bulb. Does that make sense?

On the par ? No the 24 will not give you the same par as a 48w.

Id imagine that they have similar par ratings PER INCH. If the 48" had double the PAR ratings per inch, that would make it roughly 4x more powerful than the 24" version, which i dont believe it is. Even moreso, you are looking at 1w/ inch of tube, so that right there leads me to believe they are similar per INCH.

Back
Top Bottom