Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
clarkii clownfish

does anyone know how big my clarkiis will grow, also a small fish that wont intimidate them if i add it. everytime we go near the tank they hide on the bottom and lay still,then dart out again when all is clear, Im currently feeding them brine shrimp, what else should i be feeding them to ensure proper nutrition.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

anything but brine !!! mysis shrimp/reg table shrimp/clam/oysters/ect...

as for the clowns how much rock do ya have for them to call home??

Old 01-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with steve, stay away from brine. It has little nutritional value. In addition, to what was recommended already, frozen lifeline is also a good choice.

As for size do some reading. There are allot of variables to include the type of clown you have. Most can get 5-7" or larger in an aquarium depending on type. I saw a pair in a display once that were 8-10"

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
KLN
Aquarium Advice Regular

Now I am confused, again. My large, colorful, expensive book, "Marine Aquaria and Miniature Reefs", by Dr. C. W. Emmens, c. 1995, says live brine shrimp is considered by many to be the best food for (carnivorous) saltwater aquarium fish.

Is he full of beans, or out of date, or what?
Old 01-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLN
Neither really, the book just isn't specific enough. Newly hatched decapsulated live brine is in fact quite nutritious. It's the adult brine that most all frozen and store bought live that is basically void of any real nutrition.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-14-2004, 08:37 PM   #6
KLN
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live brine shrimp is void of any nutrition?

I don't know who you are,sir, or what your qualifications to make such judgment may be, but to say that brine shrimp are devoid of nutrition is absurd.

K L Neal
Old 01-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
They have about 2 kilo of rock and some artificial(eek) corals to hide in right now , id like to add a little more rock so their environment is more natural. As for the Brine , i'll only use it once or twice a week , i just brought some flakes which promise more nutritional value.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLN
Live brine shrimp is void of any nutrition?

I don't know who you are,sir, or what your qualifications to make such judgment may be, but to say that brine shrimp are devoid of nutrition is absurd.

K L Neal
Absurd as you may find it, it is the truth. My satement was infact directed at the detriments of adult brine. As the shrimp matures it looses much of it's food value for HUFA, lipids, fatty acids and are quite low in usable proteins. Only the newly hatched nauplii are of any benefit unless heavily fortified with spurlina or other enriching food suppliments. The simple truth is, adult brine has little to offer any SW animal as a proper food source.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-15-2004, 01:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Now I am confused, again. My large, colorful, expensive book, "Marine Aquaria and Miniature Reefs", by Dr. C. W. Emmens, c. 1995, says live brine shrimp is considered by many to be the best food for (carnivorous) saltwater aquarium fish.

In addition to the factual statements made by Steve, I will add my input that I believe he is out of date most likely. The reason why I have this particular opinion is that most carnivorous saltwater aquarium fish are at least a few inches long and this would make feeding newly hatched brine shrimp extremely inefficient and unlikely. Thus, I will come to the conclusion that Dr. C. is most likely discussing the use of live adult brine shrimp.......which are indeed the potato chips of marine cuisine. Circa 1995 though I could see them being favored....nutrition has simply come a long way since then.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't respond to forums very often (I spend most of the time reading) but this one I thought that it would be an interesting one to add too. From what I understood with adult brine shrimp is that it is very high in proteins, which in turn when it is used for food will help the fish grow at a rather alarming rate, but thats about it, no other nutritional benefits really. I would compare it to feeding an oscar nothing but beefheart to see how big and how fast it can grow. Please correct me if I am wrong but I am also under the idea that a lot of feeder fish are raised on high protein diets and so are commercial shrimp farms for raising the shrimp that you buy in the store. So if this is true than brine shrimp is actually really good if you want your fish to grow quickly. But if you would like to have a healthy fish then stay away from it. Please correct me if I am wrong because I too am very interested in this subject.

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com