clarkii clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
does anyone know how big my clarkiis will grow, also a small fish that wont intimidate them if i add it. everytime we go near the tank they hide on the bottom and lay still,then dart out again when all is clear, Im currently feeding them brine shrimp, what else should i be feeding them to ensure proper nutrition.

anything but brine !!! mysis shrimp/reg table shrimp/clam/oysters/ect...

as for the clowns how much rock do ya have for them to call home??

Agree with steve, stay away from brine. It has little nutritional value. In addition, to what was recommended already, frozen lifeline is also a good choice.

As for size do some reading. There are allot of variables to include the type of clown you have. Most can get 5-7" or larger in an aquarium depending on type. I saw a pair in a display once that were 8-10"

HTH,

Now I am confused, again. My large, colorful, expensive book, "Marine Aquaria and Miniature Reefs", by Dr. C. W. Emmens, c. 1995, says live brine shrimp is considered by many to be the best food for (carnivorous) saltwater aquarium fish.

Is he full of beans, or out of date, or what?

KLN said:
Neither really, the book just isn't specific enough. Newly hatched decapsulated live brine is in fact quite nutritious. It's the adult brine that most all frozen and store bought live that is basically void of any real nutrition.

Cheers
Steve

Live brine shrimp is void of any nutrition?

I don't know who you are,sir, or what your qualifications to make such judgment may be, but to say that brine shrimp are devoid of nutrition is absurd.

K L Neal

They have about 2 kilo of rock and some artificial(eek) corals to hide in right now , id like to add a little more rock so their environment is more natural. As for the Brine , i'll only use it once or twice a week , i just brought some flakes which promise more nutritional value.

KLN said:
Live brine shrimp is void of any nutrition?

I don't know who you are,sir, or what your qualifications to make such judgment may be, but to say that brine shrimp are devoid of nutrition is absurd.

K L Neal
Absurd as you may find it, it is the truth. My satement was infact directed at the detriments of adult brine. As the shrimp matures it looses much of it's food value for HUFA, lipids, fatty acids and are quite low in usable proteins. Only the newly hatched nauplii are of any benefit unless heavily fortified with spurlina or other enriching food suppliments. The simple truth is, adult brine has little to offer any SW animal as a proper food source.

Cheers
Steve

Now I am confused, again. My large, colorful, expensive book, "Marine Aquaria and Miniature Reefs", by Dr. C. W. Emmens, c. 1995, says live brine shrimp is considered by many to be the best food for (carnivorous) saltwater aquarium fish.

In addition to the factual statements made by Steve, I will add my input that I believe he is out of date most likely. The reason why I have this particular opinion is that most carnivorous saltwater aquarium fish are at least a few inches long and this would make feeding newly hatched brine shrimp extremely inefficient and unlikely. Thus, I will come to the conclusion that Dr. C. is most likely discussing the use of live adult brine shrimp.......which are indeed the potato chips of marine cuisine. Circa 1995 though I could see them being favored....nutrition has simply come a long way since then.

I don't respond to forums very often (I spend most of the time reading) but this one I thought that it would be an interesting one to add too. From what I understood with adult brine shrimp is that it is very high in proteins, which in turn when it is used for food will help the fish grow at a rather alarming rate, but thats about it, no other nutritional benefits really. I would compare it to feeding an oscar nothing but beefheart to see how big and how fast it can grow. Please correct me if I am wrong but I am also under the idea that a lot of feeder fish are raised on high protein diets and so are commercial shrimp farms for raising the shrimp that you buy in the store. So if this is true than brine shrimp is actually really good if you want your fish to grow quickly. But if you would like to have a healthy fish then stay away from it. Please correct me if I am wrong because I too am very interested in this subject.

My apologies for the blunt post above. It had been a very bad day and my tact was nonexistent.

I do think it is a stretch to say any lving animal tissue is devoid of nutrition, but I did not need to be rude about it.

Thanks

I am now feeding them JBL Maris (flakes) and giving them a little brine once a week only. The aquarium where i brought the fish recommended Brine shrimp, They also recomended cycling with bottled bacteria which did not work as well as was expected, From now on i will come here for advice and go to the shop if i want to buy something

i am now feeding them jbl maris flakes (with 30% krill) and my goldfish are loving the brine, the packet said its nutritious, the man who sold me the fish recommended brine as their only food source was fine, strange he didnt try to sell me the flakes as they cost nearly twice as much, anything frozen i should supplement with or shall i believe the packet that it is a complete food.

Unless the brine is vitamin fortified it is useless as a staple food for SW animals. Typically I like to recommend a variety of foods flake, pellet and frozen to ensure the fish are getting the full nutrition they need to stay healthy. You can even make your own. :wink: The key is not soley in the type of food but what it contains. There are many frozen preparations available that can be added to the feeding routine provided they are properly fortified.

Cheers
Steve

I feed my fish hikari pellets (spirilina and carnivore) and fresh seafood on alternating days. Sea food consisting of hand chopped squid, shrimp, krill, silver sides, and flounder. I also give frozen mysis mixed with brine shrimp and I add vita-chem. You can buy vitamin enriched jelly to bond your fish food creation or you can add liquid vitamins and put them into an ice tray. Handmade food cubes. (I love my fish, I have a picture of my skunk clown on my phone. Can you tell I'm a little too into this hobby?)

Back
Top Bottom